Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

3 way switch with 2 fixtures controlled independently?

Is it possible to wire a 3 way switch in box (A) to control 2 fixtures and have each fixture controlled by it's own switch? What I have is a remodel job and I want a switch at the door entering the bedroom and 2 lights at the head of the bed and be able to control each light by it's own switch.

Last edited by Terry B; 04-27-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
Is it possible to wire a 3 way switch in box (A) to control 2 fixtures and have each fixture controlled by it's own switch? What I have is a remodel job and I want a switch at the door entering the bedroom and 2 lights at the head of the bed and be able to control each light by it's own switch.
Possible yes. But it would require a special switch by the door, sort of a double 3-way, if you will. The problem is sequencing. If one light is off and the other on, when the switch by the door is flipped, then they will reverse. To avoid this nuisance both lights should either be on or off before using the switch by the door.

The switch you need will have to be obtained from an electrical supply house. It is a double pole, double throw toggle switch in the style of a light switch. It is essentially two 3-ways in one.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

You need 2 - 3 way switches at the door.
unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 112

You will need 4 three way switches. One pair for each light.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Possible yes. But it would require a special switch by the door, sort of a double 3-way, if you will. The problem is sequencing. If one light is off and the other on, when the switch by the door is flipped, then they will reverse. To avoid this nuisance both lights should either be on or off before using the switch by the door.

The switch you need will have to be obtained from an electrical supply house. It is a double pole, double throw toggle switch in the style of a light switch. It is essentially two 3-ways in one.
You do not want to do it this way because of the nuisance mentioned. The whole purpose of a 3 way switch is not to have to walk to the other switch location and if one light is on and the other is off, the only way to get them both off from the single switch by the door is to go to one of the other locations.

By the way, it will work, nuisance and all, with three ordinary 3 way switches and power entering at the box at the door. The single switch at the door has both sets of travelers attached to it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-27-2009 at 12:42 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post

By the way, it will work, nuisance and all, with three ordinary 3 way switches and power entering at the box at the door. The single switch at the door has both sets of travelers attached to it.
True. Never thought about it. But very true. And by the way. I would not wire it this way or with a DPDT switch. It would be a headache and probably defeat the purpose they were installed for to begin with.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
True. Never thought about it. But very true. And by the way. I would not wire it this way or with a DPDT switch. It would be a headache and probably defeat the purpose they were installed for to begin with.
Well first, thank you inphase for your help, I did wire it with 3- 3way switches and am satisfied because although it works as you said it would the other 2 switches are at the head of the bed 1 on each side and the wife knows if the light on the other side of the bed is on, to turn hers on before hitting the switch at the door as she exits the room, thanks again

Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote