Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

3 way smart dimmer issue

Hi All,
I'm trying to install cooper wiring devices aspire smart dimmers (pdf) as part of a kitchen renovation. I've successfully installed a master and remote for another 3 way switch, but I can't get this particular one to work.

The power enters a receptacle and then two cables leave the receptacle box and power two switches in the kitchen. The first switch is your basic light switch for which I'm using an Aspire Master Dimmer (works fine) and the other one is the problematic 3 way switch. The master switch works fine but the remote will not operate the light at all (3 60w incandescent bulbs). It seems as if the remote switch is receiving power as the amber light is lit, but the green led that indicates the dimming level of the light is not lit. I've rewired the receptacle as it was poorly done and I thought that might be the issue, but no dice.

Does anyone have any experience with these dimmers or a suggestion as to what my issue might be?

Thanks in advance.
indignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Union Electrician

3 way smart dimmer issue

Sounds like the dimmers are not communicating with one another. It's hard to tell from the pics ifs these are traditional three way dimmer wiring or sense line PLC type devices. How many screws or leads do you have on master and remote?
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

3 way smart dimmer issue

The remote dimmer need a netural to work properly and you may have to rearrange the 3 way wireing to non standard format because the way the master and remote[s] working

this what i useally do with multi location dimmers the master is ok per wiring instruction but for remote you MUST do the same as master typically with the XX-3 wires and they are very spefic with connection.

if you used the standrd 3 way switch it will not work with this unit at all

http://64.239.63.88/catalog/

you will have to type in page # C-5 it will show the connection digram and please follow the connection very carefully with this this is the only way it will work properly

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Union Electrician

3 way smart dimmer issue

Why does the dimmer need a neutral? Is it electronic low voltage? Or some X-10 type?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #5

3 way smart dimmer issue

I'm 99% sure these dimmers are wired correctly. Hot black is connected to the black on the master dimmer. The master dimmer red is connected to the red and the blue is connected to the other black. Neutrals are wired together and grounds are wired together. On the remote dimmer one blue is connected to hot black and the red wire and the other blue is connected to the other black. Again neutrals are wired together as well as grounds.

I've even moved this switch onto a different circuit and same thing. I'm starting to think that maybe one or both of the dimmers are defective. I'm getting a low buzzing noise from the master.

frrenchelectrician what do you mean by the remote dimmer needs a neutral?

Is there a way I can test this piece by piece to determine where the failure is?

Last edited by indignatz; 11-16-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Union Electrician

3 way smart dimmer issue

I'll let Marc answer why you may need a neutral. I didn't look up the wiring diagrams for this dimmer, and I'll bet he did. I still say that these dimmers aren't talking. Do you have a continuity tester? You need to figure out which wires are going switch to switch, and which wires are going to the light. Marc?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #7

3 way smart dimmer issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The remote dimmer need a netural to work properly and you may have to rearrange the 3 way wireing to non standard format because the way the master and remote[s] working

this what i useally do with multi location dimmers the master is ok per wiring instruction but for remote you MUST do the same as master typically with the XX-3 wires and they are very spefic with connection.

if you used the standrd 3 way switch it will not work with this unit at all

http://64.239.63.88/catalog/

you will have to type in page # C-5 it will show the connection digram and please follow the connection very carefully with this this is the only way it will work properly

Merci, Marc
Looking at the provided diagramm I don't see that you need a neutral to operate this dimmer in a single or a 3-way mode. Could you pin point it please?
sparky1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

3 way smart dimmer issue

Let you know i did make a small blunder i was reading the wrong dimmer model number and i dont know why i got it wrong page show up on me but let me get back to the facts here.

To OP make sure you follow the connections very carefully and also make sure you have the ground [ green or bare wire ] hook up correct way.

I know there are cenrten type of " smart " dimmer or multi location dimmer did reqired netural to order to run it right because of the signal carrier between one of the legs

to OP,.. i do not know which way you bring in the power to dimmer is the power start at the luminaire location or at the switch location??

and how it the wire ran i know i did read it twice to make sure i did catch it right.
somehow i was try to make a drawing and i think you did have one of the lead hooked up wrong [ i hope that is the case ] you take the red wire from dimmer [ Master ] and get the red wire from remote [ slave unit ] and get the black wire to the luminaire and that spot wirenutted all the three together for the bleu wire [ use the black wire to run between the blue wires ] hook the bleu to bleu and it should work correctaly and btw what type of luminaire you have ???

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #9

3 way smart dimmer issue

The power starts at the master dimmer. Here's a diagram of the wiring:

This looks exactly like the diagram in the instructions so I'm still stumped.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Electrician philosopher

3 way smart dimmer issue

Don't discount the fact that everything this could just be a bad dimmer.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #11

3 way smart dimmer issue

Make sure to turn off power when wiring dimmer switches, one accidental short can ruin a good switch, I learned this the hard way
RichyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Union Electrician

3 way smart dimmer issue

Quote:
Make sure to turn off power when wiring dimmer switches, one accidental short can ruin a good switch, I learned this the hard way
Right you are brother. I know you said that the LED on the slave was on, but one of those dimmers may be smoked. I'm just curious of you've tried just touching the wires together and eliminating one or both of the dimmers from the circuit. Perhaps the connection is being lost elsewhere. just a thought.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #13

3 way smart dimmer issue

Well, after all that it turned out to be not one but two faulty remote switches. What are the odds?

Thanks for all the help and points to goose for calling it from the beginning. If I hadn't already replaced the remote once, I would have tried that first.

And btw, I'm neither brave nor stupid enough to try making connections with the power on.

See you all again when I'm installing my wall oven and cooktop.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
Electrician philosopher

3 way smart dimmer issue

Yea for Goose...He gets a cookie. Congrats on a problem solved!!!

We eat oven and cooktop questions for lunch...post back indignatz.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
Union Electrician

3 way smart dimmer issue

Quote:
Well, after all that it turned out to be not one but two faulty remote switches. What are the odds?
As a friend of mine who fixes electronics for a living once said: Never underestimate the power of coincidence.

Glad it worked out for you.