Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Share |

3 Way Problem

I just moved into this house and am trying to fix a three way switch in the hallway.
The problem is that the farthest switch in line does not work when the first switch is in a certain position.
I have changed both switches and have confirmed that both switches are in fact 3 ways.
I have also checked to make sure the hot is on the common terminal on both switches.

The farthest switch has a 14-3. The white is hot and the black and red are travelers.
There are no other wires in that box.

The other switch has two white wires spiced which one of those wires are hot.
This switch has the black (which is the feed) on the common, and a black and a red as travelers.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue.
Thanks
-Brian

vtec69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #2

3 Way Problem

Also when I tested the wires i did not have the light switches connected.
I have just retested the wires with the switches connected and the first switch two wires are hot (One traveler and one common) with no light on, and the farther switch all three wires are hot.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

3 Way Problem

The common terminal of one 3way switch should have the incoming (constant) hot. The common of the other should have the switched hot to the light. Determine which set of wires are hot, which go to the light, and which go between switches (that one is easy... it's the 3 conductor).

DON"T use a proximity type tester to determine which wire is which... use a meter or test light. Otherwise you will be running in circles all day.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #4

3 Way Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
The common terminal of one 3way switch should have the incoming (constant) hot. The common of the other should have the switched hot to the light. Determine which set of wires are hot, which go to the light, and which go between switches (that one is easy... it's the 3 conductor).

DON"T use a proximity type tester to determine which wire is which... use a meter or test light. Otherwise you will be running in circles all day.

I was using a meter.
Fixed the problem. Turned out that the two blacks were switched around