3-way Ceiling Fan Dimmer? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 622

3-way Ceiling Fan Dimmer?

Hello all,

I have removed all of the dry wall in my family room and with the walls open want to install a 3-way ceiling fan dimmer switch. I have searched on line and have not been able to find one.
Thank you,
Mike

Advertisement

47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Hello all,

I have removed all of the dry wall in my family room and with the walls open want to install a 3-way ceiling fan dimmer switch. I have searched on line and have not been able to find one.
Thank you,
Mike
I think you mean a 2-way switching (intermediate switching) - a light/fan/etc can be independently operated form 2 separate switches.

I have attached a diagram, which may be of some help to you. This diagram will allow you to operate a fan from 2 different locations. Please be aware that the speed of the fan will be governed by the control unit that is energised. Both dimmers will not operate simultaneously - only one dimmer will be usable at any one time, which is the dimmer that is associated with the energised control unit.

The attached diagram is only for controlling the speed of the fan & not for dimming lights.
Attached Files
File Type: zip intermediate fan control diag.zip (3.8 KB, 706 views)

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,458

3 way ceiling fan dimmer switch ....Hmmmmm..... ok... are you talking about dimming the ceiling fan light on a three way dimmer with a switch at another location?

Or are you talking a 3 speed fan motor control with light dimmer combination?

Or are you talking about a switch like a lamp 3-way switch?

One thing for sure your not talking about dimming the motor

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 09-21-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Once fried, twice shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
3 way ceiling fan dimmer switch ....Hmmmmm..... ok... are you talking about dimming the ceiling fan light on a three way dimmer with a switch at another location?

Or are you talking a 3 speed fan motor control with light dimmer combination?

Or are you talking about a switch like a lamp 3-way switch?

One thing for sure your not talking about dimming the motor

Stubbie
You're right Stubbie...I should've clarified that point but it was very early in the morning here & I was a bit zonked.
Come to think of it, he probably is talking about dimming the lights that are incorporated in a fan fitting.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Hey I understand believe me. But I don't think you have made any big oversites so don't sweat it. Let me tell you ..... never get on these forums when you have been without sleep or hung-over. I have made some real doooosies when I was tired.

We have these people we call the "internet police" who lurk in the shadows and will come out of no-where at the slightest little misstatement. Usually they are people who don't know much about what is being said.. just that they see a chance to question your words or you may have took something for granted like the poster knew if he had a three way switch or not. Generally these guys are just wannabees so don't worry about missing something or being to wrapped up in freakin clarifications. The threads will develop as everyone begins to reply and the right things eventually get asked.

I think your pretty freakin brave to mingle with our electrical system not being from the USA and a different way of doing your wiring. It's funny though you can pick up other peoples systems if your willing to listen and put in some effort ..... you know... that thing called "respectful learning".

You probably already know who the guys are here that know what's going on. There is mutual respect and we don't always agree but we agree to disagree without insult. I think I've learned more in my life being wrong and
being shown why I was wrong than all the formal education I've had over the years.

Beware though.... people can trip my trigger as with that guy from New York....

Stubbie
Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #6

Stubbie,

Let me clarify, I want to have two separate switches at both room entrances. One switch at at each side will control the lights. One three way dimmer and the other will have a three way on/off. This will allow me to turn the lights on from either side. I would like to do the same with the ceiling fan (the other two switches). I should not have used the term fan dimmer (speed controller?). I know you can not reduce the voltage to the fan as you do the lights.

The only thing that I have in common with your last statement is I am also from NY. Those people are all over.

Thank you,
Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Once fried, twice shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Stubbie,

Let me clarify, I want to have two separate switches at both room entrances. One switch at at each side will control the lights. One three way dimmer and the other will have a three way on/off. This will allow me to turn the lights on from either side. I would like to do the same with the ceiling fan (the other two switches). I should not have used the term fan dimmer (speed controller?). I know you can not reduce the voltage to the fan as you do the lights.

The only thing that I have in common with your last statement is I am also from NY. Those people are all over.

Thank you,
Mike

Let me see if I understand this.

You are installing (or have installed) a fan with a built-in light fitting. You wish to be able to switch the light on & off from 2 different locations (2-way switching). You also wish to be able to dim this light from 2 different locations (2-way dimming). You also want to switch the fan on & off from 2 different locations (2-way switching) but you do not wish to control the speed of the fan.

Is this correct?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #8

I am sorry for the confusion I created. The ceiling fan with light has been purchased and the walls are still wide open. No wires or boxes have been run as of yet. You are correct with the lighting circuit. The fan has a pull chain to control the three speeds. I do wish to control the speed of the fan without using the pull chain from two switch locations. I have seen fan speed controllers for use with a single switch, but not one for the use with two switches.
Thank you for you patience,
Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #9

Elkangorito,

Thank you for the diagram.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Once fried, twice shy.

Hi Mike.

Ok. Doing this should not be a problem. I don't know about the USA but in Australia, consumers are able to buy 'modular' products to make the switch/dimmer/fan speed control, as 1 wall mounting unit. One company in particular has a large range of products (Clipsal). Essentially, you should be able to build each light/fan speed/dimmer wall plate, as 1 integral unit. So, on each wall plate, you will have;

1] a light on/off switch.
2] a fan on/off switch.
3] a light dimmer control.
4] a fan speed control.

Anyway, assuming that your fan is a typical split phase capacitor start/run induction motor, it shouldn't be difficult to bypass the speed switch & wire the fan to the external speed controllers. If you buy modern speed controllers & light dimmers, they will be electronic. In most cases, a light dimmer cannot be used to control a fan speed & a fan speed controller cannot be used to dim lights.

If a split phase capacitor start/run induction motor is used in the fan, it will only have a 2 wire connection. Active (hot) & neutral can be connected to either. It is simply a matter of interposing the speed controller between the fan motor & the fan on/off switch. The diagram I provided can be used as the wiring schematic for this arrangement.

Are you with me so far? Comments from others please.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Hello Mike

I see our friend from Australia is up and about.

One thing... you can have variable speed control on some ceiling fans, much like a dimmer in a sense. Make sure your literature says your fan is compatible with that type of speed control. The best ones are pass and seymour IMO. In fact I like their speed controls & light dimmers period. Anyway take a look at different makers and see whats available, the internet is a great place to do this.

You can have the set up you want...no problem. Just make sure you are purchasing a 3 way dimmer and and a 3 way speed control.

You can get these separate or as one device in conjunction with three way switches. There have been a lot of advances in whats available, and I'm not up on all of them.

I like pass and seymour but there are many, many makes for what you want.

sooooooo

1.) Read the instructions with the Fan you bought and make sure there aren't any restrictions on what type fan control you can use. Usually the only one will be if it is compatible with a variable speed control.

2.) Make sure you get quality dimmers and controls. The fan speed control needs to be of the "no-noise type" don't buy anything else. These will keep the motor from humming if the fan is a lower end fan....ie....cheap vs expensive. Some literature with fans will tell you if it will have to have this type control.

Follow directions from the installation literature such as be watchful for stuff like the... fan must be set to the... highest speed...that sort of thing
Other wise your going to be scratching your head wondering why the fan doesn't work right.

Here is a product that allows you to have speed control at two locations. If you choose.
http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/M16.pdf

Otherwise

You will need two circuits ie...one speed control and 3 way switch and one lighting 3-way circuit...(two 3-way light switches).

I can't view the diagram mentioned so it should be something like this...

Incoming Power to the box with the speed control and 3-way light switch. Then a 14/3 G from this box to the light/ceiling fan. Two 14/3 G's to the other switch box.

At the box with the speed control connect two pigtails to the black incoming power wire in a wire nut. One to the correct wire/screw of the speed control. Connect the other pigtail to the dark colored screw of your 3-way switch. this screw is called the common and may be labeled as such.

Take the white incoming power neutral and connect it to the white neutral of the 14/3 going to the ceiling fan in a wirenut.

Take the two black wires in the 14/3's going to the other switch box and connect one to the red and one to the black of the 14/3 going to the ceiling fan in wirenuts.

Take the red and white in one cable going to the other switch box and connect to the correct wires of the fan control.

The other 14/3 for the light circuit do the same to the 3-way switch. It doesn't matter which of the two brass screws the red and white of the 14/3 connects to on the 3-way switch.

At the other switch box connect the red and white from the 14/3 coming the fan control to brass screws of the switch. Then connect the black to the dark colored screw.

Same with the other 14/3 at it's 3-way switch.

At the light connect the white to the white of the ceiling fan connect the black to the black and the red to the blue or whatever color is designated for the light.

Note: The white wires connecting to the switches and speed control are used for hot and should be colored or taped black at the termination points. this is just a way of making sure anyone fooling with this knows they are not neutrals. Seems silly to me but thats the way it is to be code compliant. IMO if you don't now anything about wiring something like this the black marking isn't going to mean squat to you anyway.

Hope this helps

there are several products out there and the wiring will be...who knows?... so it depends on what you purchase.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 09-24-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: fixin my bad spellin
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #12

Hello Elkangorito and Stubbie,

Boy did I use the wrong verbage in my first request. Thank you both for sticking with me and helping me out. I did not see any of the devices in local stores or online and the closest electrical supply house is about 30 miles away.
I will look at my fan instructions and see if this can be done.
Thank you both again for your sharing of your knowledge.

Mike
Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Try these

http://www.lutron.com/products/

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10026

http://www.passandseymour.com/
Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #14