Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

3 switches, 2 lights Help please?

Hi all and thank you for reading my issue. I greatly appreciate the time you are taking to try and help. Let's get to it.

I recently purchased a home and I am replacing all of the switches and receptacles. I have 2 lights in the hallways of my second floor. These lights are controlled off of 3 switches (2 3 ways and 1 4 way). There is a 3-way switch at the bottom of the steps (let's call switch 1), a 4-way switch at the top of the steps (let's call switch 2), and a 3-way switch at the end of the hallway (let's call switch 3). Here is how they are wired:
  • Switch 1: Top left white wire, bottom left black wire, top right black wire, bottom left ground wire. There are also 2 white wires "passing through" or wire nutted together. ---> Wired EXACTLY the same way as the old switch.
  • Switch 2: Top left and bottom left are black wires, top right and bottom right are white wires with the ground on the bottom left.---> Wired EXACTLY the same way as the old switch.
  • Switch 3: top left and bottom left are black wires, top right is a white wire and bottom right is a ground wire. There is 1 white wire with a wire nut.
Ok, so if switch 3 is in the OFF position, nothing works. IF it is on, switch 1 and 2 control the lights. So, why is switch 3 not wired the EXACT same way? This is a whole other story.

Switch 3 is outside a bedroom. My father was changing an outlet in the bedroom (that is controlled from a switch in the bedroom) and the lights in the hallway shut off. Long story short, somehow the lights in the hallway fried (they were old).

Since, I have eliminated the switch controlled outlet in the bedroom and made it a constant hot outlet, vs a switch controlled one (the red wire in the outlet box is just wired off.

When the issue with the lights happened, I assumed there was a broken neutral somewhere along the circuit. When I opened switch 3, I saw a white wire with no wire not, unspliced, just sitting there. I thought this was strange so I pig tailed the 2 white wires and sent a white wire to the switch. This did not work. So I tried to reinstate the switch to the same state it was but honestly forget the wiring.

So, after this convoluted scheme, any advice on how to troubleshoot switch 3 and get it fully functioning again?

I apologize for all of the detail but I feel it is necessary to help me fix the problem. Thank you again for your patients and efforts!

fwurster is offline   Reply With Quote