Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3-Speeds Fan with Variable Speed Switch

Hello:

I just installed 2 Minka Aire F569-ORB Supra 3-speed motor ceiling fans to one Lutron S2-LF variable speed switch that's designed for 2 fans (2.5 amps).

When I flip the breaker, the motors start running on a low speed when the switch is already on the off position. When I move the slider up, the blades go faster. When I move the slider down, the blades go slower, but never off. The lights works perfectly. There is still a little humming as well.

I called Minka Aire and they said that a variable switch will not work with a 3-speed motor fan. Is that true?

I called Lutron, and they said to set the fans to high to make the switch work properly.

I removed the switch from the wall and hooked up the receiver control, set the fans on high via remote (no pull chains), cut the power, removed the receiver and replaced the switch. Still the same problem. Help!

Is there another way or do I have to find another switch (which was already hard to begin with)? I really want to control my fans from the wall, not by remote control.

Thanks in advance.

alberta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Let me ask you a real quick question here.,

A) how many conductor you have in the switch box ?

B) is the fan and light have seperated conductor ( useally the light will be black while fan is red but some case viceversa )

C) how you got this hooked up now ??

Once I get the basic answer then I will assit you with the proper connections to this.

Oh by the way with this type of fan speed control to order to turn it off complety you will have to push it down little more you will feel click that is off postion. ( just make sure you don't install this switch in inverted postion )

Merci,
Marc

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Let me ask you a real quick question here.,

A) how many conductor you have in the switch box ?

B) is the fan and light have seperated conductor ( useally the light will be black while fan is red but some case viceversa )

C) how you got this hooked up now ??

Once I get the basic answer then I will assit you with the proper connections to this.

Oh by the way with this type of fan speed control to order to turn it off complety you will have to push it down little more you will feel click that is off postion. ( just make sure you don't install this switch in inverted postion )

Merci,
Marc
Thanks frenchelectrician.

A. I have 4 going to the fan (black, red, white, ground) and 3 going to breaker (black, white, ground).

B. The fan light is the red wire. The motor is the black wire.

C. I have the switch hooked up now. It has 4 wires (green, black, red, yellow). The black is connected to black going to breaker. All green/ground wires connected together. Two whites for fan and breaker are connected together. Red is connected to red. Yellow is connected to black going to the fans.

I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!! I had no idea the thing clicked down to turn off. It works!!!

Is there anything I can do about the humming?

Thanks so much!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta86 View Post
Thanks frenchelectrician.

A. I have 4 going to the fan (black, red, white, ground) and 3 going to breaker (black, white, ground).

That is a good combation there so you will be fine with that part.

B. The fan light is the red wire. The motor is the black wire.

No biggie that done in that done either way but it is good you check it before you make the connections.

C. I have the switch hooked up now. It has 4 wires (green, black, red, yellow). The black is connected to black going to breaker. All green/ground wires connected together. Two whites for fan and breaker are connected together. Red is connected to red. Yellow is connected to black going to the fans.

Ya got it right I did double check the connection diagram ( mine is in French so it is not a issue to translated.)

I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!! I had no idea the thing clicked down to turn off. It works!!!

Now ya got it. Live and learn.

Is there anything I can do about the humming?

In someway if you leave the fan on high speed postion at the pullchain location the humming sound will not be very loud.

Thanks so much!
That is not a problem at all.,

If the humming noise do really bother you there is a dehumming verison or go with three or four speed wall fan speed controller ( there is simauir style what ya got now )

Merci,
Marc
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #5

Thanks so much!

Do the amount of amps really matter for the humming or is it just the type of speed control?

In other words, will a "Quiet 3-Speed Fan Control" with 1.5 amps work with two fans? I'm looking at the Lutron S2-LFSQ

When I tested 1 fan, there was no humming with the switch I currently have. When I tested the 2 fans together, the humming started.

Last edited by alberta86; 02-16-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 02-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

I know with some of the fan speed control on market some are allready only rated for one fan and some are rated for two fans and one fan itself can take up to 1.5 to 3 amps alone by time you get second fan going it may be over the rating of fan speed controller.

So the soluation is get higher wattage/ amparage rated fan speed contoller.

That useally slove the issue right there.

Merci,
Marc
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,280

The size of the controler or its amp rating,
will not effect the humming issue !
Most fans running on an electronic type
speed controls will make more noise.
Its a by product of the chopping of the waveform
the motor is fed pulses rather than a continuous wave.
This causes the motor to make noise.
If you want quiet fans stick with the older style
5 position inductive type speed controlers.
Name:  fan controler.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  2.8 KB

Last edited by dmxtothemax; 02-17-2013 at 08:52 PM.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
The size of the controler or its amp rating,
will not effect the humming issue !
Most fans running on an electronic type
speed controls will make more noise.
Its a by product of the chopping of the waveform
the motor is fed pulses rather than a continuous wave.
This causes the motor to make noise.
If you want quiet fans stick with the older style
5 position inductive type speed controlers.
Attachment 65892
You might be right because I bought the Lutron Skylark SFS-5E (5 amps). I installed it and the fans still hum on low speed. However, they are quiet on high speed. In other words, on low they hum, but as I gradually move the slider up, the humming stops. I tried removing the lights, but it didn't make any difference.

I still don't get it though. I tested the first switch with just one fan and there was no humming at all. Maybe it's the way the two fans are connected. Do you think running wire from both fans directly to the wall will solve the problem instead of running wire from one fan to another?

My fans are wired in the same way based on the diagram from my earlier thread
Trying to connect 2 ceiling fans to 1 switch

Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta86 View Post
I tested the first switch with just one fan and there was no humming at all. Maybe it's the way the two fans are connected. Do you think running wire from both fans directly to the wall will solve the problem instead of running wire from one fan to another?
Thanks
No I dont think so !
One fan = small amount of noise.
two fans = twice as much noise.
The noise was probably there before,
but the level was low so you dont hear it,
but two means more noise so now clearly audiable.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #10

I guess I have to use two 3-speed quiet switches for two fans. I was really hoping to use 1 switch but just can't deal with the noise.

Thanks again.