3 Prong Electric Dryer Hook Up - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
LMJ

Rewards Points: 10

3 prong electric dryer hook up

Question HELP: In my breaker box the double pole 30 amp breaker has a black wire and a white wire (designated as hot with black tape) connected to the terminals of the breaker and the bare gnd wire is connected to the gnd bar. At the outlet the white and black wires are conected to the slanted hot connections and the bare gnd wire is connected to the prong that is labled "white". Is this correct before I try our new dryer? we have never use this circut before.

Advertisement

Last edited by LMJ; 08-17-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: trying to get an answer
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJ View Post
Question HELP: In my breaker box the double pole 30 amp breaker has a black wire and a white wire (designated as hot with black tape) connected to the terminals of the breaker and the bare gnd wire is connected to the gnd bar. At the outlet the white and black wires are conected to the slanted hot connections and the bare gnd wire is connected to the prong that is labled "white". Is this correct before I try our new dryer? we have never use this circut before.

As long as this is 10 gauge wire, it will work. I personally wouldn't have wired it that way.

Advertisement

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,548

Under current code it is not correct. However it was probably correct when installed so it is permitted to stay.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,430

We could use a picture to be absolutely positive that it is a code compliant wiring method...

Dryers can use an exiting 3 wire branch circuit ( 2 hots and a neutral) if it is compliant with pre 1996 code and originates in the main panel .. ie .. service equipment.

Todays code as Joed says is 4 wires two hots a neutral and equipment ground.

Anyway your cable sounds like NM-b (romex) I would like to be sure of that because.. if it is.. it is not a code compliant cable. As the bare is an equipment grounding wire and not to be used as neutral.

Is the bare wire a solid single wire ??

Anyway ... instructions that come with the dryer will tell you if it is wired from the factory as 3 wire connected or 4 wire connected. If it is 4 wire connected then you need to follow the instruction to convert the dryer to 3 wire provided the existing wiring is correct. We can help you with that if you need assistance.

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you did use the 6.0mm˛ twinner { 10-2 NM } for the dryer then it is not legit set up due bare conductor is not allowed to be used as netural / grounding conductor.

If you have 6.0mm˛ triplex { 10 -3 NM } then it is legit so that make a big diffrence however some case you may see old style SE cable that is legit only on exsting location.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
LMJ

Rewards Points: 10

The wire is 10-2 NM-b (romex) (one black, one white and one bare copper). The cabin was bulid 20 plus years ago therfore it does not have the 4 wire new code requirement. The new dryer has a three prong plug and per the schematic and installation instructions it apprears the netural and ground are the same potential (connected).

If I have 10-2 NM-b wire, three prong outlet (two slants and one half round (neutral) and a three prong dryer plug that matches the outlet and this is all I have to work with; how would you wire the breaker and outlet?

Thank you everyone for your assistance.
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,866

Now that you have confirmed the NM cable, we can tell you that the install was never legal. The bare grounding conductor was never meant to carry any current except in the event of a fault.

You should replace the cable.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I concur with Jim not a code compliant cable even 20 years ago for 3 wire dryer connection. You needed to have an SE type cable with bare neutral or the neutral needed to be insulated.

As said run a new cable. It can be NM-B but it must be 10/3 with ground. This gives you two insulated hots, an insulated neutral, and an equipment ground. This will allow for a new 4 wire dryer branch circuit. The new dryer will have instructions for a 4 wire connection and you will have to replace the power cord with a 4 wire 30 amp one (14-30P).

The instructions will show how to convert the dryer to 4 wire ...basically you will be un-bonding the neutral from the frame of the dryer. Once that is done you will then use the green equipment grounding conductor in the new power cord to bond the frame to ground. There will be a grounding location on the back of the dryer frame.... usually a green screw with a ground symbol next to it.

I understand your problem but to advise other than what we have said is to encourage a non-code compliant installation.

Also if this (below) is what you have then you don't have the correct plug anyway ... and sounds like a made power cord.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-18-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I haven't run into many older installations like this. I was under the impression that the older dryers were 240V only, but by what you guys are saying, I assume they were 120/240V?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,866

Yes, the older dryers were 120/240. The neutral was bonded to the frame. I believe this started when metals were needed for the war effort, but could be wrong.
Proby (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
I haven't run into many older installations like this. I was under the impression that the older dryers were 240V only, but by what you guys are saying, I assume they were 120/240V?
Ive never seen a residential 240 volt dryer, though my understanding is they do exist but are extremely rare or imported.

The OP describes a 120/240 dryer.

Around here if you working on a dryer in a home built before 1996 it will be 3 wire 120/240 unless it has been replaced with a 4 wire during an upgrade.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-18-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Ive never seen a residential 240 volt dryer,
I barely see any electric dryer

All natural gas around here Even a lot of the areas that have wells and septics still have natural gas.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
I barely see any electric dryer

All natural gas around here Even a lot of the areas that have wells and septics still have natural gas.
Then that explains everything....

We have quite a few gas ones also but electric by far is the most common.

Stubbie
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Then that explains everything....

We have quite a few gas ones also but electric by far is the most common.
Our electric rate is about $0.10/kw-h in Indiana. I've never seen a gas dryer "in person."
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have see few gaz dryer in USA and they will use the same motor as electrique dryer as well.

The reason why they keep 120 volts on both gaz and electrique dryer due manufactering cost and they keep it universal for both units.

Stright 240 volt dryer is not really widespread yet but common in European side [ Due we have 240 volts line to netural not the line to line format }

Merci.
Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote