3 Prong To 4 Prong Dryer Conversion - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

3 prong to 4 prong dryer conversion

3 prong to 4 prong dryer conversion-photo.jpg

I'm trying to convert my 3 prong electric dryer to a 4 prong electric dryer and am getting all sorts of conflicting information on what to do. I removed the cord and attached a pic of the back of the dryer where the new 4 prong will attach. The new cord has 4 cords within it. I will attach red to red, black to black, white to the middle screw (neutral) and green to the green screw on the back of the machine. The question I have is what to do with the green cord that is in the attached picture. On the old 3 prong system the ground connects to the neutral and then to the green screw on the machine. I have been told several things and don't know what is right. I've been told:

• cut the green wire off

• let the green wire hang in back and put electric tape over the metal piece at the end

• attach the green wire to the green screw where it was along with the green wire from the cord (so there will be 2 green wires connected to the green screw)

• attach the green wire from the new cord and the white wire from the new cord to the screw for the neutral and then attach the green wire in the picture to the green screw on the machine
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

ccm9fc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Been discussed over and over on here. Key is to make sure that the bonding jumper from the Neutral is not attached to the ground (ie case), clue is, it is that green wire in the middle hanging in the air, that you remove, when going from 3-wire to 4-wire. BTW, why did you remove the block from the chassis, unless it was needed to attach the plug, it is really not needed.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Put some tape over the lug on the green wire and push it back in, behind the block. Then connect the three wire cord to the dryer. Do not cut it off. You may need the wire some day.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote