Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

3 Mystery Switches

How does one go about trying to figure out what these 3 switches were meant to control? They are all three ways. I believe 1 pair may be set up to control a ceiling fan, however only one switch works. The other I had thought might have been set to control 1 wall outlet ( I guess a single pole switch ) so a Christmas tree could be easily flipped on/off. That switch does nothing I can detect. What do you experts do in similar situations?

Jimmy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

3 Mystery Switches

guess and spend lots of the homeowners money trying to find what the switches operate

basically, if there is power to the switches, you can turn them off and look for a dead recep or wire in a box. Then after flipping the switch, you check for power where there was a dead recep or wire.

In other words; a lot of trial and error and hopefully some good luck.

I have used a toner (a device that imparts a sound on the wires that can be tracked with a receiver) if there is no power on the circuits. It won't generally track through a wall (although sometimes it will) but it makes it real easy to poke the receiver into an open box to see if you pick up the sound.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote