Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

3 Gang Switch confusion

This remodeling project has 2 big bumps in the road and I would love some help.
I installed 3 new switches in the bathroom and the breaker kept tripping. Now after finding my problem, the breaker does not "zap" but it will not go into the on position...did I blow the breaker?

Do I need to click the breaker back "tougher" and then set it in the on position? My mistake was not paying attention to the wires as I dismantled them.....

slwgo4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #2

3 Gang Switch confusion

Did you turn the breaker off before trying to reset it? Don't try and force the breaker into the on position first. You could always remove the breaker from the panel and see if it will move to the on position. You could still have a problem.

petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Electrician

3 Gang Switch confusion

Yes the breaker could be damaged. If you believe you have the wiring problem fixed, try what Petey suggested and see if the breaker will reset. If the breaker seems to be bad and won't reset, you can still test your circuit. Locate another breaker in the panel of the same amperage...15 if it's a 15, 15 or 20 if it's a 20. Turn it off, temporarily disconnect the wire on it, hook up your bath circuit wire, turn it on and see if the breaker 'holds'. If it does, turn on your 3 switches and see if all works well. If the breaker doesn't hold immediately or after testing the switches, don't keep turning it on and off, you don't want to damage this one too. You'll have to re-work your problem in the wiring first.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #4

3 Gang Switch confusion

Thank you for your help!!! I thought that changing old to new would be easy... I am NOT an electrician as you can all tell! The breaker will not stay in the on position and it pops...
I looked on the back of the switches for whizz wire markings. No I am not blonde but does it matter which "side" is used for hot if they are all set up the same? I found a diagram on DIY and followed it.
slwgo4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

3 Gang Switch confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwgo4it View Post
Thank you for your help!!! I thought that changing old to new would be easy... I am NOT an electrician as you can all tell! The breaker will not stay in the on position and it pops...
I looked on the back of the switches for whizz wire markings. No I am not blonde but does it matter which "side" is used for hot if they are all set up the same? I found a diagram on DIY and followed it.
Good afternoon,
Okay first tell me if you are doing any three way switching because if you are then it does matter where the conductors are attached to the switch, a common mistake is mixing up the common and traveler wires and what happens is you will need to leave one switch on in order for it too work which is incorrect. If you have three switches in the bathroom my guess is one is the fan, another for heat and one more for lighting. Your hot is your common and make sure all your neturals are tied together ( the white wires) just remember that any light or fixture is wired in SERIES on the switch meaning your white wire going to the fixture and back to the switch is also a HOT wire and that white wire need to be marked at both ends with black electrical tape indicating it's a hot wire. Let me know your configuration, also for the breaker check on the panel that the studs and wires are nice and snug otherwise you could be arching power, when you go to tighten the studs and breaker wires on the panel turn off the MAIN panel breaker which will be either 50-100 and some 200 AMP service, this will disconnect power to the rest of the panel just keep in mind that service coming from the pole into the panel right into the main breaker is HOT with a single phase load.
joedreamliner787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #6

3 Gang Switch confusion

If all you did was disconnect the wires from the old switches and place them on the new switches without disconnecting any wire nuts, then your problem is that you have a wiring short going on at one or more of your switches.

Look carefully at how you wired your switches. You probably have one of these:

1) the ground wire connected wrong. The bare or green wire is the ground wire. It must NOT be connected to any of the switch terminals. It is connected to the GREEN screw only. For a 2-way switch, there are 2 power terminal screws and one green ground screw. For a 3-way switch there are 3 power screws and one green ground screw.

2) the bare ground wire is touching a power screw. This sometimes happens as you shove the switches back into the box

PICTURES ALWAYS HELP!!!