Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

3 gang switch or 3 way switch ?? explain with schematics

I would like to know what is the difference between a 3 gang switch and a 3 way switch with the aid of schematic diagram.I guess 3 gang switch is a special case of 3 way switch .... the former having 3 poles and the latter one having a single common pole for all the ways. correct me if i am wrong. Also i would like to know application fields of each one .... some examples would clarify the things.

it would be nice to have some pictures of the actual 3 gang switch.... as i have never seen it

vivek1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Electrician

Gang usually refers to how many devices(plugs or switches) fit into a given box. A box that holds one device would be a single gang box, a box that holds two devices would be a two gang box, a box that holds three devices would be a three gang box.

A 3 way switch is a switch that controls a light from two locations. One of the most common areas for this is the top and bottom of stairs. You can turn your lights on at the top of your stairs and then go down and turn them off down stairs and vice versa.

I am not an artist so I can't make you a picture of the 3 way buy someone on here has done it before and if your lucky they will do it again.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Gaza

Had some trouble with this as well,found this site which has diagrams on,hope this helps.

http://www.wiringsecrets.com/diagrams/

Click the link at the bottom of the page,takes you straight to the diagrams,no download required.
smithy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #4

Following is a 3 gang switch...

Let's say the left switch goes to the room light, the middle switch goes to the porch light, and the right switch goes to the driveway light.

Then 3 way switches would be wired together - two switches controlling the same light. Say one switch at the bottom of the stairs, and one switch at the top of the stairs. Here are some diagrams of how they work...
http://home.howstuffworks.com/three-way2.htm
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #5

Three gang switches would be three switches grouped together. Three way swithces would special swithces used when you have two switches controlling the same light. You could have three three gnaged switch and they could be three way switches.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #6

That gave me a good laugh. Billy Bob where did you find that picture? Looks like a picture of the first 3 gang ever, I mean, is the cover made of bakelite? I think that would put it likely in the early 40's when there was a shortage of metal and they used bakelite (the first "plastic") instead.

Last edited by Piedmont; 10-02-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
That gave me a good laugh. Billy Bob where did you find that picture? Looks like a picture of the first 3 gang ever, I mean, is the cover made of bakelite? I think that would put it likely in the early 40's when there was a shortage of metal and they used bakelite (the first "plastic") instead.
Be careful, that might just be in his own house....
theatretch85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
Well I went to google.com images. Then searched for 3 gang switch, but that was all they had except for non-regular switches and 3 gang switch plate covers. After about 10 pages of that, went back and used the old fashioned picture. At least it was not knob and tube!

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote