Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

3 Electrical Questions

Question #1

Ok, so I’ve looked around about this and have it about 95% down. I just bought a house and have all 2 prong receptacles. I want to change them out to 3 prong outlets. I know in Section 406.3 (D) (3) of the 2008 NEC I have 3 options.

a) Replace 2 prong receptacle with another 2 prong receptacle

b) Replace 2 prong receptacle with a GFCI. Include “No Equipment Ground” sticker.

c) Replace 2 prong receptacle with a 3 prong receptacle where supplied through a GFCI. Two stickers will be added “No Equipment Ground” and “GFCI protected”

I’m going with options b and c. GFCI will be installed 1st in the circuit and all other receptacles downstream will be protected via this.

I also read that “An equipment conductor shall not be connected between the grounding type receptacles.” – So my question is this -à “Do I or should I attach the green ground tail from each receptacle to its own metal box?”

Moving on Question #2

In the future I was thinking about running new Romex to each outlet so that I could ground all the receptacles. I know in 334.30 that it should be supported every 4.5 feet and within 12 inches of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet or fitting. Can I just run Romex thru the empty voids in the wall without support? If I can support it I will, I just don’t want to open all the walls so that I can secure it at the above intervals if you know what I mean. I do have access from the basement and from the attic to fish up and down the walls.

Question #3

Does anyone know of an electrical layout software program that is free or low cost? I would like to make my own schematics so I can change/reconfigure receptacles/lights/switches on each floor/each room.

Thanking all in advance.
icepal1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
DIY'er

3 Electrical Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepal1999 View Post
Question #1

Ok, so I’ve looked around about this and have it about 95% down. I just bought a house and have all 2 prong receptacles. I want to change them out to 3 prong outlets. I know in Section 406.3 (D) (3) of the 2008 NEC I have 3 options.

a) Replace 2 prong receptacle with another 2 prong receptacle

b) Replace 2 prong receptacle with a GFCI. Include “No Equipment Ground” sticker.

c) Replace 2 prong receptacle with a 3 prong receptacle where supplied through a GFCI. Two stickers will be added “No Equipment Ground” and “GFCI protected”

I’m going with options b and c. GFCI will be installed 1st in the circuit and all other receptacles downstream will be protected via this.

I also read that “An equipment conductor shall not be connected between the grounding type receptacles.” – So my question is this -à “Do I or should I attach the green ground tail from each receptacle to its own metal box?”

Moving on Question #2

In the future I was thinking about running new Romex to each outlet so that I could ground all the receptacles. I know in 334.30 that it should be supported every 4.5 feet and within 12 inches of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet or fitting. Can I just run Romex thru the empty voids in the wall without support? If I can support it I will, I just don’t want to open all the walls so that I can secure it at the above intervals if you know what I mean. I do have access from the basement and from the attic to fish up and down the walls.

Question #3

Does anyone know of an electrical layout software program that is free or low cost? I would like to make my own schematics so I can change/reconfigure receptacles/lights/switches on each floor/each room.

Thanking all in advance.
Is the wire you have now without ground? Frequently romex was run that included a ground wire, and it was frequently bonded to the metal box, but ungrounded outlets were installed in most rooms other than the kitchen and bath for years.

Cable does not need to be supported in areas that you can not access, i.e. inside walls that are closed up.

You can use google sketchup, it is a general use free 3d drawing program.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

3 Electrical Questions

Jamie - No ground wire - it's the old Romex with the cloth covering.
icepal1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
DIY'er

3 Electrical Questions

Quote:
Jamie - No ground wire - it's the old Romex with the cloth covering.
Then I would just do the GF outlets for now. GF outlets have a very good safety profile even when used without a ground.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Floor Sweeper

3 Electrical Questions

It looks like you have done your homework
Quote:
“Do I or should I attach the green ground tail from each receptacle to its own metal box?”
No, you need no grounding jumpers or anything. Just connect the blacks and whites.
Quote:
Can I just run Romex thru the empty voids in the wall without support?
Yes. Very common. NEC 334.30(B)(1)

Quote:
I never tried this "google sketchup" Jamie speaks of yet (I'll have to sometime...), I use MS paint if I draw any diagrams for people. Easy and gets the job done.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote