#3 AWG Copper SER / PVC Conduit Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

#3 AWG Copper SER / PVC Conduit Question

Hi! I have a new meter panel I put in and am replacing a cable for a 100 AMP subpanel. I am using 2" PVC from the attic eave down to the panel with two LB's. The total run in conduit is about 5 feet only to protect the cable. I am also running #6 SEU cable for my furnace in the same conduit. My question is this - do I need to remove the sheathing from the SER and SEU cable when it is in the conduit? Would it make pulling it in the conduit (around the LB bends) easier? Can I also fit 10-3 for my dryer and 10-2 for my hot water heater in this same piece of conduit, and if so, can/should the sheathing need to be removed on that as well? Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

djejay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by djejay75 View Post
Hi! I have a new meter panel I put in and am replacing a cable for a 100 AMP subpanel. I am using 2" PVC from the attic eave down to the panel with two LB's. The total run in conduit is about 5 feet only to protect the cable. I am also running #6 SEU cable for my furnace in the same conduit. My question is this - do I need to remove the sheathing from the SER and SEU cable when it is in the conduit? Would it make pulling it in the conduit (around the LB bends) easier? Can I also fit 10-3 for my dryer and 10-2 for my hot water heater in this same piece of conduit, and if so, can/should the sheathing need to be removed on that as well? Thanks for your help!
Do you mean service panel? Sub panels are after the main service. (second panel) You cannot mix service entrance conductors with other wiring.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I have a main combination meter/panel outside, then a 100 AMP breaker in that panel feeding a panel in the interior of my home.
djejay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Removing the sheathing is illegal (using the cable with it removed). That cable is not rated to be used without the sheathing. The only place it can be removed is where it terminates and junctions.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

You can not do this due you will allready run into code related issues.,

removeing the sheathing from the SER and SEU will lead some issue with it the other thing do not think about run the 10-3 and 10-2 with this due the derating factor will kick in no question asked.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote