Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

2X3 electrical

New here! Tons of great topics and advice. I could browse all day. This site will be my new favorite. Doing some work in my house. Framed with mostly 2X4. A few walls are 2X3 to save on space. (smaller house=tight quarters). Need to put very little electrical on the 2X3 walls. Both are half walls. One is getting an outlet, other is getting a switch. Is there anything specific or different or that I need to take into consideration for the 2X3's? Shallow boxes.etc.etc. Thanks everyone!!!
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

2X3 electrical

Besides the shallow boxes, you will also need to use something like a "Colorado Jim" or a 3M stak-it for furring strips to keep the cables 1 1/4" off the strip when run parallel. You will also probably need nail plates on both sides of any drilled holes.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #3

2X3 electrical

I have nail plates, but what are "Colorado Jim" or a 3M stak-it ? Anything else?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

2X3 electrical

Look in this thread.

Getting ready to get the basement rewired
Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

2X3 electrical

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Sometimes it takes a little more explaining for me to get the concept. haha. Really sorry. Is the main reason for these clips to keep the wire off the stud because of the chance that a drywall screw would hit it? The distance back would be the same as stapling it? Am I on the right path?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

2X3 electrical

The idea is to protect the cable from an errant screw or nail.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #7

2X3 electrical

Does it protect from an errant screw or nail by keeping it off the 2x3 stud? Because the distance back would be the same as if you just stapled it too the stud, right. Is the idea that the chances of a screw/nail hitting it if it stapled to the side of stud is greater so by using one of these products you get it off the side of the stud? Thanks. Just having trouble determining what it actually does or what makes it different from stapling it to the side of the stud. sorry.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Licensed electrician

2X3 electrical

You are correct that the distance back would be the same as if stapled to the stud. However, the sheetrock screws should be going into the stud. If you were to miss the side of the wood you could hit a cable. Increasing the distance away from the wood helps prevent this. On a 2x4 stud the cable would need to be stapled 1 1/4" back from each face of the stud.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #9

2X3 electrical

Perfect. Thanks for the detailed explaination. Ahh. it all makes sense