Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,867
Rewards Points: 4
Share |
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
ok your on your own with the metric to imperial conversion
the washer, if installed within 600mm of the floor and behind the washer ,does NOT need a gfci(this only applies if near a washbasin otherwise it's moot point). The utility plug in the laundry room must either be on the same circuit as the washer or on it's own line. The plug in the bathroom Must be within 1 meter of the washbasin but at a distance of 1m for the shower/tub. If this isn't possible your allowed to go down to 500mm. This distance isn't necessarily measured in a straight line...it goes around walls if there are any in the direct line.
It doesn't say anywhere that you must have a 20A circuit for any of the above only that if 20A circuits are used you must have the approved CL listed devices for install.

sooooo now that i've had my refresher course here's what i would do.
run one 14/2 up for the lights and the fan in the bath and laundry.
run a 12/2 for the washer and utility plug(this will give you ample power for use in the utility plug)
run a 10/3 plus ground for the dryer(when installing plug ground goes up i believe. same height as washer plug)
run a 12/2 for the bathrrom gfci(a hairdryer draws 12A sometimes. the will leave extra if you have the 20A circuit....but if your bach'n it and don't use a hairdryer feel free to drop it down to 15A)

edit....few things i forgot to add
the bath plug can't be behind the sink it must be adjacent.
the utility plug in the laundry room if a washbasin is installed has to GFCI protected as well if it's within 3m of the washbasin

this is by no means the minimum you could get away with. you could have the bathrooms GFCI and the lights/fan on the same circuit but you would have to limit the bath gfci to 15A as no lighting circuit may be fused at greater than 15A. So i think the way i stated it above is the way to go.
That statement about 15 amp lighting circuits must be from Canada . It sure does not apply to the USA.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,165
Rewards Points: 0
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
NO. Bath GFCI 12 gauge at 20 amps.
Washer 12 gauge at 20 amps.
Dryer 10 gauge at 30 amps. 10-3 with ground
Lighting circuits, general use reseps 14 gauge at 15 amps.
he's located in ontario brric....i just went through my code book and found all this stuff and nowhere does it say that the washer or the bath gfci need to be 20A. Infact there's only certain circumstances where 20A isn't frowned upon(albeit not illegal if approved devices are used). The one that really caught my eye that i wasn't aware of is that in canada it's not permitted to have residential lighting or combination of lighting and plugs on a 20A circuit. I wouldn't have dug out my code book if he wasn't under CEC guidlines....I would have let one of you guys set him straight :D

Last edited by andrew79; 04-07-2010 at 01:26 PM.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,867
Rewards Points: 4
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
he's located in ontario brric....i just went through my code book and found all this stuff and nowhere does it say that the washer or the bath gfci need to be 20A. Infact there's only certain circumstances where 20A isn't frowned upon(albeit not illegal if approved devices are used). The one that really caught my eye that i wasn't aware of is that in canada it's not permitted to have residential lighting or combination of lighting and plugs on a 20A circuit.
OK fine. I would NOT use a 15 amp laundry circuit if I DID live in Canada. To each his own I guess. Is the CEC available online?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,165
Rewards Points: 0
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
OK fine. I would NOT use a 15 amp laundry circuit if I DID live in Canada. To each his own I guess. Is the CEC available online?
Are you kidding me? Not unless you pay for it . The candian goverment doesn't give anything away for free unfortunately.

edit to one of my other posts....the 15A lighting thing was taken from the ontario code book not the canadian code book. So i'm not sure if thats canada wide.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,867
Rewards Points: 4
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
Are you kidding me? Not unless you pay for it . The candian goverment doesn't give anything away for free unfortunately.

edit to one of my other posts....the 15A lighting thing was taken from the ontario code book not the canadian code book. So i'm not sure if thats canada wide.
How much in USD?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,165
Rewards Points: 0
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


we're pretty much on par right now so 135 for download and 160 for hardcopy( i see jaws dropping everywhere )
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,165
Rewards Points: 0
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
ok your on your own with the metric to imperial conversion
the washer, if installed within 600mm of the floor and behind the washer ,does NOT need a gfci(this only applies if near a washbasin otherwise it's moot point). The utility plug in the laundry room must either be on the same circuit as the washer or on it's own line. The plug in the bathroom Must be within 1 meter of the washbasin but at a distance of 1m for the shower/tub. If this isn't possible your allowed to go down to 500mm. This distance isn't necessarily measured in a straight line...it goes around walls if there are any in the direct line.
It doesn't say anywhere that you must have a 20A circuit for any of the above only that if 20A circuits are used you must have the approved CL listed devices for install.

sooooo now that i've had my refresher course here's what i would do.
run one 14/2 up for the lights and the fan in the bath and laundry.
run a 12/2 for the washer and utility plug(this will give you ample power for use in the utility plug)
run a 10/3 plus ground for the dryer(when installing plug ground goes up i believe. same height as washer plug)
run a 12/2 for the bathrrom gfci(a hairdryer draws 12A sometimes. the will leave extra if you have the 20A circuit....but if your bach'n it and don't use a hairdryer feel free to drop it down to 15A)

edit....few things i forgot to add
the bath plug can't be behind the sink it must be adjacent.
the utility plug in the laundry room if a washbasin is installed has to GFCI protected as well if it's within 3m of the washbasin

this is by no means the minimum you could get away with. you could have the bathrooms GFCI and the lights/fan on the same circuit but you would have to limit the bath gfci to 15A as no lighting circuit may be fused at greater than 15A. So i think the way i stated it above is the way to go.
ok so i went out and bought the newest code book that just came out and there's some changes. The 3m rule is now 1.5m for gfci protection. Now in addition to that rule any room with a washbasin or a shower/tub must have all receptacles gfci protected. If the laundry room will be used for ironing then it is suggested that a seperate feed be run for the washer and the utility plug or run a 20A circuit as i originally said, but this isn't a rule just a suggested practice. If there's a washbasin in your laundry room then the utility plug must be gfci protected and the washer plug must be inacessable or gfci protected as well if easily accessable(above 24 inch from floor and not behind washer). The dryer plug with washbasin if above 24 inch from floor and not behind dryer would have to be gfci protected as well. Other than that what i said before holds true.

Too many freakin rules

edit #2....the utility plug in the laundry room has to be tamper proof.( wow they changed everything on me lol)

Last edited by andrew79; 04-07-2010 at 07:45 PM.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
Bobblestop (04-08-2010)
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 0
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Thank you very much Andrew, especially for going through the extra trouble in finding the information on all the codes, quite invaluable.

I will be heeding you advice as I plan on getting an inspection and I don't want anything to be done incorrectly or not to code.

I think that I will be putting gfci's on all of the plugs as well, just to be safe.

Thank you all for your input.


Note: Ill be sure to make sure I pick up a tamper proof gfci receptacle for the laundry room as well!
Bobblestop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblestop For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (04-08-2010)
Old 04-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #24
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,165
Rewards Points: 0
Default

2nd floor Laundry and 2nd floor Bath, how many circuits?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblestop View Post
Thank you very much Andrew, especially for going through the extra trouble in finding the information on all the codes, quite invaluable.

I will be heeding you advice as I plan on getting an inspection and I don't want anything to be done incorrectly or not to code.

I think that I will be putting gfci's on all of the plugs as well, just to be safe.

Thank you all for your input.


Note: Ill be sure to make sure I pick up a tamper proof gfci receptacle for the laundry room as well!
If you have a home depot nearby they sell a simplified version of the residential parts of the code book only, that's in plain english...i believe it's only about $15....it's written by inspectors so if you plan on doing more remodelling it might be worth spending the cash.
It was no trouble at all....i needed the refresher course...if you don't use it you lose it as they say

andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.