Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2nd ceiling fan, with a twist

Hi. My ceiling fan stopped working, although the light kit still worked. Thinking a problem with the fan motor, I replaced the fan with a working fan from another room (no light kit). But this fan also does not work. (No wall switches are involved.)

Connections appear tight...so I'm confused; it can't be the motor as the replacement worked fine the day before (which makes me believe that perhaps the original fan also might have worked, but for whatever is causing this problem.)

If a house wiring problem, how would the light kit still have worked?

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

neamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

It really sounds like you have a loose connection. You said there are no switches to the fan/light so that narrows down your trouble shooting. Double check the connections on both the hots and neutrals in the box. If they are simply held together by the wire nut only, then twist the wires together and square up the end. I'm sure you will, but make sure the breaker is off before you do this. Hope that helps.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/

sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

[quote=sharpsport;636484]It really sounds like you have a loose connection. You said there are no switches to the fan/light so that narrows down your trouble shooting. Double check the connections on both the hots and neutrals in the box. If they are simply held together by the wire nut only, then twist the wires together and square up the end. I'm sure you will, but make sure the breaker is off before you do this. Hope that helps.

sharpsport---thanks, I will check connections again tomorrow. But if they were loose and preventing the fan from working, how could the light kit have worked as I believe it draws from the same connection?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

The light is fed from the same power source as the fan, but from the fan itself there are two separate hot wires. One for the fan and one for the light. That wire may be loose.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/
sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpsport For This Useful Post:
neamb2 (05-04-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,004

The blue (light) and the black (fan) from the fan must be connected together with the power source. Three wires under one wirenut.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
neamb2 (05-04-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

Thanks sharpsport and J. V. for your advice. This (working) fan had a light kit which I had removed before installing in another room; we won't be needing the kit. I had capped off the leads from the fan to the old light kit, thinking they were unnecessary, then hung the fan and connected the three wires at the ceiling (measures 120 v. on my meter.) No fan movement.

Apparently I was wrong about the fan leads to the light kit and certain ones need to be spliced to run the fan. (My elec. experience is limited to switches, receptacles, and dimmers). This is a somewhat complex fan assembly, whose housing contains not only the pull chain and winter/summer switches and wires, but also a 4-position rotary knob and its wires.

I tried connecting the black fan and pull chain wires, but to no effect. This may be too complicated to pursue, so I understand if we can't continue; I'll likely then just buy a new fan. Thanks again for your help.

Rick