Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #1

Share |

24v thermostat replacement

Hi all,

I have several line voltage (240v) thermostats each controlling a baseboard in most rooms of the house. In the main room I have an old 24v Honeywell thermostat which controls 3 baseboard heaters via a Honeywell relay.

I also have a new 240v programmable thermostat which I wanted to use in the main room, but was wondering what the best course of action would be. Can I remove the relay unit and and rewire to use the programmable thermostat or can these 240v ones only control one baseboard unit?
Do I have to get a 24v programmable thermostat instead?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the separate relay?

Many thanks for any help

rolat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Floor Sweeper

24v thermostat replacement

Quote:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the separate relay?
The relay allows you to use a 24 volt standard thermostat to control a line voltage heater. It also allows you to control possibly more than what a standard wall mounted line voltage stat would be able to handle, depending on the size of the heaters and the current rating of the relay. Check the wattage of the heaters, add it up and divide by 240 to get the amps. Baseboard heat is usually 250 watts per foot. (There are special sizes and ones that run on 120 that are different)

Quote:
I also have a new 240v programmable thermostat which I wanted to use in the main room, but was wondering what the best course of action would be.
If you have your heart set on using that thermostat, you would have to rewire the heaters and bring power to the thermostat, and then to the heater. Thermostats for fixed electric space heating require a thermostat that says off, and they won't if they only make and break one line. If it were me, and the heat relay works fine, I would leave it. I would install a new 24 volt stat that is compatible with electric heat. (Most are)

Quote:
Can I remove the relay unit and and rewire to use the programmable thermostat or can these 240v ones only control one baseboard unit?
Do I have to get a 24v programmable thermostat instead?
Yes, but like I said, you would have to rewire the circuit to bring the 240 volt line to the thermostat location, making sure that the contacts in the thermostat can handle the load. (You never said how big the heaters are)

up to you. I don't think it would be worth the trouble. The thermostat probably needs 240 to operate the electronics within, so don't think that stat would work on a 24 volt line.

Hope this helps.

junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote