Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #1

Share |
Question

240v electrical to unattached garage?

I need to bring a 240v plug to my garage/shop for a biodiesel processor - it will be a 40 amp plug - underground wire is not an option & i'll need to run the wire overhead - presently there is 120v power going to the garage on overhead lines -I'm looking for helpful hints, instructional website, book suggestions, etc. I have many basic wiring books for the diy projects, however none of them touch on high voltage out door wire. I assume I can buy the appropriate gauge wire with an outdoor rating - but need info on the proper way for it to attach & travel - running parallel to the existing 120v wire, attached to the same connectors on the building? Any info is appriciated. Thanks, Alissa(Portland, Oregon)

alissakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Electrician

240v electrical to unattached garage?

Why don't you just get rid of the 120V line and run a 240V line and put in a 60A subpanel. The you have a little headroom for the odd plug and lights.

If your not confortable with doing something like this, hire an electrician it is well worth the money.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote