DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

240V 2 pole 1/2 inch GE breakers?

23K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  dobenstine 
#1 ·
I am adding a backup generator for hurricane season, I already have a double pole manual switch to use as a transfer switch, and a spare GE TLM612 sub panel box. This GE box is a 6 slot box, numbered 1,2,3,4,5 & 7 (4 on the left side 2 on the right), now my problem is I would like to install 2, 20 amp 2 pole breakers, 1 30 amp 2 pole breaker and 2 15 amp 2 pole breakers (well pump, pressure pump, water heater, fridge, and 1 15 amp for lights. Can I do this with a combination of 1/2 inch and 1 inch breakers? I was thinking:

Slots:

1 - 15A single 1/2 inch
1 - 20A double pole top half 1/2 inch
3 - 20A double pole bottom half 1/2 inch
3 - 20A double pole top half 1/2 inch
4 - 20A double pole bottom half 1/2 inch
4- 15 A single 1/2 inch

5- 30A double 1 inch standard
7- 30A double 1 inch standard

would this work?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I am referring to tandem breakers similar to the ones you have in the photo, however the ones at the local hardware store are common trip with both switches tied together, they are also rated 240V and seem to be available in 20 - 60 amp ratings which seems awfully big for a 120V circuit. The only way this makes sense to me is if they are split between the alternating legs per my original post (with a single half size breaker in the first slot.

Ike

#6 ·
You can use those half-pint GE THQP breakers if there are buss bar tabs in the positions of the panel you are proposing to install them in.

Even though it appears there is sufficient space in the panel, you have to carefully examine the buss bar tabs to ensure the proper "guts" are there.

Otherwise, the breaker will appear to "fit" but won't work. :no:

#7 ·
I am adding a backup generator for hurricane season, I already have a double pole manual switch to use as a transfer switch, and a spare GE TLM612 sub panel box. This GE box is a 6 slot box, numbered 1,2,3,4,5 & 7 (4 on the left side 2 on the right), now my problem is I would like to install 2, 20 amp 2 pole breakers, 1 30 amp 2 pole breaker and 2 15 amp 2 pole breakers (well pump, pressure pump, water heater, fridge, and 1 15 amp for lights. Can I do this with a combination of 1/2 inch and 1 inch breakers? I was thinking:

Slots:

1 - 15A single 1/2 inch
3 - 20A double pole top half 1/2 inch
4 - 20A double pole bottom half 1/2 inch
4- 15 A single 1/2 inch

would this work?
Your intention is correct, but it seems your circuit numbers are incorrect.

The circuit numbers are:
Left side --- right side
1----2
3----4
5----x
7----x

Your load center can have up to up to 4 ea 2-pole 1/2"breakers with 4 ea 1-pole breakers, or any combination that is equivalent to 12 ea 1-pole 1/2" spots (but you have a max of 4 ea 2-pole 1/2" spots).

Your list would work, you only have to change it like this:
1 - 15A single 1/2 inch
2 - 20A double pole top half 1/2 inch
4- 20A double pole bottom half 1/2 inch
4- 15 A single 1/2 inch

#11 ·
I just have a minute for a quick reply, This install is a little more complex than I covered in the initial post. I do have a friend that is an industrial electrician that works with large backup generators helping out with the install so everything should be covered in a safe manner. The switch is a Square D Heavy Duty double throw (I don't have the model number in front of me at the moment. Upstream breaker protection is existing 125 amp C-H breaker. Yes I have a diagram of the intended install and have had it reviewed by multiple people.

Ike

#13 ·
Stubbie, I am looking to find that panel or at least the cover...how/where can I find two? I've checked with the local electrician supply stores and the panel they give me is a different size and much smaller. I need 2 of those covers for a home I have that did not have the covers when I purchased it. Thanks for your help! Is the model number tlm612?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.