240 Volt Single Phase 38 Max Amps Heater Made By Patron - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

240 volt single phase 38 max amps heater made by patron

the heater turns on and the element heats up but it does not run high heat like it is suppose too i think the electrian didnt do some thing right does anyone know what might be the problem or what i should look for to see if the power is hook up right..

so heres what i know it is a 150 ft run from breaker box(what size wire should be used to maintian 38 amps 240 volts (its hooked up to a 40amp breaker now is that to small for the travel)the out put watts on the machine is 9000 watts

thanks, willie

Advertisement

williestyles08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

What size wire was used? Was this a "real" electrician? Can you get pictures of all of the connections?

Advertisement

Last edited by jerryh3; 01-06-2009 at 05:43 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Electrician

Is it connected to the correct voltage? Also, how did you determine its not running at max. temp?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #4

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
What size wire was used? Was this a "real" electrician? Can you get pictures of all of the connections?

it was done by an electrician but i think it is sub-par work iam a general contractor in seattle and i built this restaurant last september and they installed this heater with there electrician and my is to busy now to look at it i was hoping someone in here could tell me what to look for to see if it is hooked up right i know how to do electrical but dont preform it so i want advice to give him to tell his eletrician so he can get it fix at no additional cost if he calls someone else he has to pay again if i give him the answers to get this guy back to fix this problem then it cost nothing he thinks its hookup right i know its not
( i wired my home and everything works right but i no longer have my electrical bboks to look up what is the problem so i need to know what gauge wire should be there and if the breaker at 40 amps will travel to the heater a 150ft with 240v/38 amps i beleave that you only lose power cause the wire is not big enough true or false
Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Is it connected to the correct voltage? Also, how did you determine its not running at max. temp?

looked up specs online this thing doesnt even meet temps of space for a home and should be putting out 6 times the heats as the average space heater
Assembly Rating
None. Unit is fully assembled in box. $639

In stock
A high power construction heater for heating large spaces.

This high output heater throws out the same amount of heat as 6, yes six, conventional home user space heaters.

One of the only heaters on the market today that is powered by electricity and capable of heating a room to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. This functionality alone makes it ideal for a high temperature yoga room - but do check you can meet the 240V 40 Amp power requirements.

Rugged ConstructionPowder coated steel housingHigh quality sealed motorRequires 240V / 40 Amp electric supplyUL / CUL listed30,700 BTU9000 Watts1250 sq ft heating area350 CFM heated air outputElectrical power required: 240v/60HzMax 40 Amps22" long18" wide12" highWeight: 48 lbsCarrying handle makes porta

Last edited by williestyles08; 01-06-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are two possiblty is that either wire is one size smaller or you have 208 volt supply .

If you ran the heater on 208 volt supply expect to loose about 25% of heating value on it that why you may not feel full heat effect.

Now for the wire size if the electrician ran with #6 THHN/THWN it should be correct for that distance.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
There are two possibility is that either wire is one size smaller or you have 208 volt supply .

If you ran the heater on 208 volt supply expect to loose about 25% of heating value on it that why you may not feel full heat effect.

Now for the wire size if the electrician ran with #6 THHN/THWN it should be correct for that distance.

Merci,Marc
I seriously doubt #8 at 150' would be a noticeable heat loss. Sounds like they either hooked it up to 208v, or the room is just way to big for the heater.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by williestyles08 View Post
it was done by an electrician but i think it is sub-par work iam a general contractor in seattle and i built this restaurant last september and they installed this heater with there electrician and my is to busy now to look at it i was hoping someone in here could tell me what to look for to see if it is hooked up right i know how to do electrical but dont preform it so i want advice to give him to tell his eletrician so he can get it fix at no additional cost if he calls someone else he has to pay again if i give him the answers to get this guy back to fix this problem then it cost nothing he thinks its hookup right i know its not
( i wired my home and everything works right but i no longer have my electrical bboks to look up what is the problem so i need to know what gauge wire should be there and if the breaker at 40 amps will travel to the heater a 150ft with 240v/38 amps i beleave that you only lose power cause the wire is not big enough true or false
Dude I had to come up for air reading your post! A period can be your friend.
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,432

http://www.patronproducts.com/click%...%20catalog.pdf

They do make some interesting products. I'm betting it's running on 208 volts. Looks like a 30k btu heater for around a 1250 square feet. Puts out 350 cfm single speed motor.

Advertisement

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote