Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Share |

240 Cadet heater plug question 4k watt

I bought a Cadet twin 4000 watt heater from the Home Depot. What I am looking at doing is building a box (to house the heater) and installing a plug from the heater wiring so that I can plug the heater into my 50 amp 220 outlet in the wall,(Currently my welder outlet) and unplug it when not in use.

I have the compatible wall plug in was wondering how to wire this in, as I am not an electrician, The heater has 2 wires coming out of it, with no grounds. Will the 50 amp breaker be too much for it?, and does my 3rd wire from the plug just get directly grounded to the heater? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The reasoning for this is to have a backup heater to kick on if my boiler fails, as I only have oil hw baseboard heat in my home, and want to avoid accidental freeze up, If I were to leave town for a few days. Also if the same thing will work if I were to plug it into my dryer outlet?
sharky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

if what you are trying to do is to be able to use the welder and heater on the same outlet one at a time "it is not possible" the outlets deffer for the 50 amp and 30amp cord prongs, if on the other hand you want to totally dedicate it to the heater replace thwe breaker with a 30amp and get the 10/2 awg cord at lowes or home depot you also need to replace the outlet with a compatible with the cord youll buy

Last edited by RAUL HIDALGO; 11-18-2012 at 09:15 PM.
RAUL HIDALGO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky74 View Post
I bought a Cadet twin 4000 watt heater from the Home Depot. What I am looking at doing is building a box (to house the heater) and installing a plug from the heater wiring so that I can plug the heater into my 50 amp 220 outlet in the wall,(Currently my welder outlet) and unplug it when not in use.

That will raise a new issue there due the heater and welder circuit is not compareable so read on you will see in a bit why.,,

I have the compatible wall plug in was wondering how to wire this in, as I am not an electrician, The heater has 2 wires coming out of it, with no grounds. Will the 50 amp breaker be too much for it?, and does my 3rd wire from the plug just get directly grounded to the heater? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The key issue that you say 2 conductors comming out I think this heater is pretty much set up for hardwire but I know some do have factory cord if they provided it and 50 amp breaker is way too much for this heater for safety issue the voltage is not a issue the ampcaity of the circuit that is the issue due most of the heaters which the 4 KW units will only need 20 amp 240 volt circuit the larger one will require 30 amp or larger depending on the model. The hardwired verison you may use the 10 awg copper NM or 10-3 SO cord ( note : you will have to remark either one on white conductor to let you know it is not netural for safety reason.)

The reasoning for this is to have a backup heater to kick on if my boiler fails, as I only have oil hw baseboard heat in my home, and want to avoid accidental freeze up, If I were to leave town for a few days. Also if the same thing will work if I were to plug it into my dryer outlet?

Is this heater unit located in the garage ( attached or detached ? ) or what ?

Merci,
Marc