Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Share |
Question

240 480 rotaryphse

we are installing an irragation system in a field. we have single phase power in the field 50 kva transformer with 200 amp breaker. we are going to power one 40 hp pump either 48 amps 480 3ph or 95amps 240 3ph and 1 center pivot irragation system that will draw 16 amps max when all wheels are turning but has to have 480 volts three phase. pump is 100 ft from electrical service and pivot is 100 ft from service diferant direction. wandering should i transform all power to 480 then rotary phase for third leg or should i rotary phase 240 then transform power to 480 for pivot. should i use vfd for pump and rotary phase for pivot(multiple motors starting and stoping by themself moving threw field). i like to buy used off ebay to save some green. if i have 50 kva trasformer now then will 50 kva 240 480 single phase transformer be large enough to go from 240-480 single phase. i like to have things ready for electrician. wanderring about the size and the order of what has got to be done. thanks in advance

markrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

240 480 rotaryphse

With that setup I strongly recomeoned that you talk to the electrician first before you order anything and let them do the actual hook up due they will know how to deal with it.

The transfomer you have there now the 50 KVA single phase transfomer is too small it will barealy keep the 40 CV moteur running espcally in starting mode that will push the transfomer right to the max rating pretty easy.

You will have to talk to the POCO about the transformer size you may end up replace with larger unit.

And let the electrician do the hook up on them.

Merci,
Marc

Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

240 480 rotaryphse

I'd say you need three phase service. That's a huge load to run on a phase converter. If you have to work with what you've got, then I would go with a single large rotary converter located as close to the service as possible (probably the wellhead), and run both the well pump and the pivot motors off of it. The well pump motor will also act as a rotary converter while in operation, and help stabilize the third-leg voltage for the pivot motors. I'd run the converter and pump motors at 240V, and either use a transformer for the 480V pivot circuit or connect to the outer leads of the converter's motor to get the 480V, if it can be wired that way.