Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #1

Share |

23VAC parallel switches ?

Hi

I want to control my whole house ducted Dehumidifier with 2 separate Thermostats with built in dehumidistats each.

If stat 1 calls for dehumidifier then it will close switch and complete 23 vac to trigger dehumidifier.

If stat 2 calls for dehumidifier then it will close switch and complete 23 vac to trigger dehumidifier.

If BOTH stat 1+2 calls for dehumidifier will i be sending 23+23vac = 46 vac to the dehumidifier on terminal? or is it always 23 VAC i don't want to damage the unit.

Will my crude drawing below work ok?

Thanks Again

Charlie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Sparkaholic

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

The switching portion of your drawing will work fine. You are applying the same voltage from the same source to both t-stats so the voltage will not be doubled. If both t-stats switch on the humidifier it will just keep it running until both have been satisfied.

The part of your drawing that doesn't look right is that you are showing the voltage looping back to the xfmr when it should be going to the coil of the contactor that starts the dehumidifier. I think you probably know that and just didn't draw it right. Good luck!

sparks1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #3

I agree with post #2.

It's a wire-OR circuit.
If one OR the other OR both switches close, the dehumid. works
but
your diagram shows the switches shorting the dehumid's transformer.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

Caution for those eavesdropping. Do not connect this up literally as shown, you will short out the transformer.

There must be a load in the circuit with the transformer output and the thermostats.

The contactor coil or input (mentioned above but not pictured) is a load, an acceptable load.

The transformer output (secondary) is a source, not a load. Switches and thermostats and humidstats are not loads. The contactor output or controlled contacts is a switch and not a load.

If the humidifier (machine) has just two exposed terminals labeled "for 23 (or 24 or 32) volt thermostat" then you may connect up both thermostats as pictured above.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-07-2010 at 07:16 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote