Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #1

Share |

230v line for Hot Tub

Hello,

I need to run a 230v line for a hot tub. I have 200amp service to the house and room on the box. I have installed 110 breakers ane outlets but I am not sure about teh 230. The company is providing the sub panel for the device I just need to run the line to it from the breaker panel. I have access to my attic were the line would be run and it is goin to be about a 40' run.

Any help would be great?

Thanks,
Mike

mstrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

230v line for Hot Tub

I must say. This is NOT a job for a casual DIYer. Only someone with lots of experience should attempt a spa. There are lots of important codes to consider and this is no place to wing it or learn as you go.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #3

230v line for Hot Tub

thanks speedy,

i have the option to go with another spa that requires 220 with a shut off box would this be a better choice?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
DIY'er

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrobel View Post
thanks speedy,

i have the option to go with another spa that requires 220 with a shut off box would this be a better choice?

Thanks,
Mike
In my area, you have the option of either running directly from your panel with a GFIC breaker installed, directly to the tub or you run from a standard breaker to a 220 shut off box that has GFIC protectior that is within a certin number of feet from the tub.

For 220 you have to put in a double breaker designed for 220 service, then wire up the breaker to both power leads. It is very important to use the proper gage wire, and have your ground wire connected properly. If you have any doubts as to your ability to make stunningly perfect connections, now is the time to get help.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Electrician

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
thanks speedy,

Thanks,
Mike

You need a disconnect no matter what, and it has to be 5' away from the unit, I think speedy is referring to the bonding requirements of the tub anyhow.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #6

230v line for Hot Tub

ALL spas require a service disconnect.

I am referring to the fact that this....
Quote:
I have installed 110 breakers ane outlets but I am not sure about teh 230.
....does not sound like someone ready to tackle such a project.

I am not being critical, I am just calling it from experience.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
DIY'er

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
You need a disconnect no matter what, and it has to be 5' away from the unit, I think speedy is referring to the bonding requirements of the tub anyhow.
Perhaps I have misunderstood this:

"If the outside hot tub is a self contained unit with built-in CFCI protection, no further CFCI protection is required (680-42)"

My understanding of that is that of a GFI breaker is used in the main panel, and the tub has the now standard built in cfci, then a disconnect is not required.

Have I misunderstood the code?
Jamie
Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #8

230v line for Hot Tub

In my town I must have a shutoff 5' from the tub and no more than 10' away.

I have never read or delt with a 230 connection I have run a 220 with GFI for the tub in my bathroom.

From the sounds of it i should go with the tub that only needs 220 since i am familiar with the setup.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
DIY'er

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
In my town I must have a shutoff 5' from the tub and no more than 10' away.

I have never read or delt with a 230 connection I have run a 220 with GFI for the tub in my bathroom.

From the sounds of it i should go with the tub that only needs 220 since i am familiar with the setup.
110/120 & 220/230/240 (possiably even 208 - but I am not sure) are voltages that are generally interchanged afaik.

A 220/230/240 v service is just both legs of 110/120 service.

Jamie
Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #10

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
My understanding of that is that of a GFI breaker is used in the main panel, and the tub has the now standard built in cfci, then a disconnect is not required.

Have I misunderstood the code?
Yes you have. The GFI requirement has nothing to do with the service disconnect requirement.
Two completely different things.

Yes, 220/230/240 are ALL 240v for the past many years.

"220" is an incorrect term that has never been corrected/updated and lay folks just can't shake it.
I hear "220" used for everything from dryers, to ranges, to a/c's, typically without regard to amperage either. To many folks, if it is bigger than a small appliance it is "220".

The line from "Mr. Mom" hasn't helped over the years either: "220, 221, whatever it takes."

A circuit in pretty much any home in the US is either; 120v, 240v, or 120/240v.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #11

230v line for Hot Tub

ok i am learning alot here this is all good info. so when i have one dealer tell me it needs 230 and another tell me their brand needs 220 is that because they are not electricians and when i use the two legs off the panel it is going to push 240 and what i need to be sure is to use the correct amp/breaker?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
DIY'er

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Yes you have. The GFI requirement has nothing to do with the service disconnect requirement.
Two completely different things.
I worded that poorly, I applogize I wasn't more clear. I understand they are 2 different things.

Do tubs / spas that are inside the home require a disconnect if a GFI breaker is used in the main?

Jamie
Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #13

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
I worded that poorly, I applogize I wasn't more clear. I understand they are 2 different things.

Do tubs / spas that are inside the home require a disconnect if a GFI breaker is used in the main?
The way I read this it is the same question.
The GFI has nothing to to do with the disconnect requirement.

ALL spas require a disconnect. The spa location dictates where the disconnect can/should be.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #14

230v line for Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
The way I read this it is the same question.
The GFI has nothing to to do with the disconnect requirement.

ALL spas require a disconnect. The spa location dictates where the disconnect can/should be.
He is asking about indoor tubs/spas.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Licensed Pro

230v line for Hot Tub

And to add to your confusion and to reinforce Petey's recommendation, you may find that the dealer and the instruction manual say use a 240V circuit, but what you will really require is a 120/240V circuit. Many instruction manuals do not describe this too well. They will state a 240V circuit is required, then go on to say "connect your neutral to the white marked terminal." A 240V only circuit has no neutral. (Yes there are 240V only tubs out there, but there are many others that are just as I described).
This is a lot more involved than connecting a 120V receptacle. Get an electrician involved.