230 V Line? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

230 v line?

I want to install this unit:
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/ROE9Y48.html
in my finished basement. The house was built in 1983 and was renovated last year. I'd like to rent out the basement and it would be great to have this small kitchenette there for the tenant. Here's the issue: I've done some wiring myself (just last month I installed a ceiling fan in my bedroom - ran new wire and all!) but am really not too savvy on electrical issues. It looks like I would need to run a new line for the oven - specs on the webpage say it is to be 230volts. I have outlets in the room already but these are normal ones so I would ask if anyone could help me with this project? The breaker box is in the adjacent room so shouldn't be hard to run the wire - what kind of wire and what is the best way to go about doing this project? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

channelgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

230 v line?

The online specifications don't list the power requirements for the range and oven other than it is 240 V so you will need to find the required amperage. You will also need to find out if the refrigerator requires its own receptacle.
Does your current panel have any unused breaker spaces? What size main breaker is installed. What do you currently have: an electric water heater, an electric range, an electric dryer? You may not have enough capacity in your current panel.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #3

230 v line?

Yes, I have all electric appliances and this includes the dryer. I'll have to check if there is a slot left for this but I think the fridge would just be a regular outlet and i can just use one that's already available?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

230 v line?

Nothing to do with the electrical but you need to check with your local gov to see if your basement is capable of being used as an apartment. There are plenty of rules to meet with such a use of a basement. Failure to follow the laws can cost you a lot of money.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

230 v line?

I agree with Nap check with your local officals to make sure if the codes are legit for your basement apartment due the key issue is egress { exit or sortie } in bedroom that usally is most common cuprit I have see.

But once you get approved for basement apartment it will be not too bad but the kitchen area it will follow the same rules as any other resdentail kitchen all RCD { GFCI } and you will need two counter top receptales circuits delicated OTR { Over the Range } microwave oven circuit and deilicated fridge circuit { that is my SOP to do that } and few other items also bathroom must be RCD but it can not go out to any other rooms at all.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #6

230 v line?

thanks for your input. The setup in the basement is an attached garage leading into a large room where the washer and dryer is and I'll put the kitchenette there since right beside the washer and dryer a sink is already in place. Then there is a small hallway with a full bath off it and then the hall leads to a large bedroom with 2 windows and 2 closets. The bath is already GFCI installed so that is set. The laundry room has a separate door outside. There are already outlets by the sink where I'm thinking of putting the unit but I hadn't thought about the GFCI issue so may have to rethink the project. Also, the hot water heater is right near there too which of course, has it's own power going to it. I think I need to do more research on the exact specifications of the unit I want to install and go from there. Anyway, thanks again for your replies.

Advertisement