Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
macon, ga bibb county

Share |

2224 impossible to pull through 2" lb help

I'm pulling some 2-2-2-4 through 100' of conduit and I can't make it past the first lb and there are five total. I am even trying to pull it through by opening the second lb up and pull from there and it won't do anything. Even bent it around to get it started in the hole.

Lupus71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Are you pulling individual conductors or a cable assembly?

Are you using lubricant?

You say "LB" , do you mean an LB fitting or a conduit elbow?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
macon, ga bibb county

Lb fitting. Assy cable.used a whole bottle of line and I'm having to push it at each lb. I have about 40' to go now but it won't do anything but bunch up now when I push. Haven't been able to use rope since I started.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Again, are you using Lube to help get it through the conduit. Also, do you have the lines stepped off about six inches to a foot from the end of the other, so that you are not pulling one fat bundle through. Kind of helps with the Lube, and having the ends about six inches from the other, so that it forms a kind of a arrow point.

Otherwise you are going to have to use a whole lot of muscle or a winch to get it through that conduit.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #5

This is a great thread.
Think of how we learned to run conduit and pull wire when we were first learning the trade.
Then some guy comes along and never has done it before asks questions after he has trouble instead of asking before he started.
Had he asked before starting, I bet he would not be having so much trouble.

OP. Had you asked before, I would have told you to at least use 3" LB's. And that is only the first trick I would have shared with you.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
macon, ga bibb county

I did use lube for some reason it posted line instead but anyways, I had asked for help a while back and I think I was told 2" was plenty but now I know. I think the stepping of the wire would have helped greatly but now it is in a straight run and I still cannot pull it or push. Having to snatch it back then push it down to gain about an inch
Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

Please answer the question Greg asked!

Is this a cable or single wires? Individual wires? Individual wires twisted together for direct burial?
We cannot help you until you start giving us more information.

What you should do now is pull it all back out and make sure its all nice and straight.
Then answer the question and we can help you get it in the conduit.

If its cable, you will be replacing it with the right kind of wire.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

By the way. You cannot pull wire through an LB. You can feed wire through it, but you cannot pull through it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
brric (08-15-2013), Jim Port (08-15-2013), stickboy1375 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus71 View Post
I did use lube for some reason it posted line instead but anyways, I had asked for help a while back and I think I was told 2" was plenty but now I know. I think the stepping of the wire would have helped greatly but now it is in a straight run and I still cannot pull it or push. Having to snatch it back then push it down to gain about an inch
You have to slather the lube on like as if you are greasing a pig. Not just light as if you are putting on hand lotion, I mean so thick that it is almost falling off.

You can get it in five gallon buckets. Basically it is a liquid soap based mix, that when it dries, it does not cause the wires to adhere to the conduit. This is how companies do it, that do it on a regular basis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMaNch69yA Of course the wire they are using, has a PEX outer coating.

This is how they do it with lube (PolyWater PJ Lube video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6MuAAAaAo8
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
macon, ga bibb county

I did answer it(?!?!?),I used a whole bottle of lube and its cable assy. 4 wires twisters together each with its own jacket. It is mobile home feeder wire. I see why you say it can't be pulled, it's not possible!
Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
macon, ga bibb county

Sorry, it's not cable I guess. It's individual wires. They are just kind of twisted together but in separate jackets
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

It can be pulled, you just have to show it who is the boss. Also it is not a bottle that you need, you need 5 gallon buckets of the lube, to get it to slip through. Also helps if you used Street El's or 45 degree elbows, now 90 degree elbows. Can you post a picture of the assembly of the conduit that you have not buried, along with pictures of cable entering the feed end.

What are you using to pull that cable through the conduit?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #13

you arenot going to get all 4 counductors through a lb at once.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus71 View Post
Sorry, it's not cable I guess. It's individual wires. They are just kind of twisted together but in separate jackets
You should not have used that cable. Pulling cable thru conduit is always difficult. Individual conductors (THWN) is the way to go. That way you can work each conductor thru the LB. And why are you using so many LB's instead of sweep elbows? To repeat, you can not pull thru an LB.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
macon, ga bibb county

Thanks for all the help, I have a friend coming to pull while I push and try that. I am using rope that I taped to the end of the wire. I bent the wire over to make a little hook for the rope. I used what I did only because I have never ran elec. and didn't know what I could use for what. The inspector did leave a note that said I did nice work though!