Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

220v wiring

I have a 3 prong plug and socket from my 220v compressor.
How do I wire the plug from the breaker?

cruzpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #2

220v wiring

You will need to see how many amps you compressor draws, should be a tag on the motor. From there you will need a breaker that draws no more than 80% of what the motor requires. Example, your compressor draws 18.2amps you will need a 30amp breaker as 80% of that is 24amps.

You will need a 30amp 2pole breaker and need to run 10/2 (+ground) wire

macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Master Electrician

220v wiring

Don't know about Canada but under the NEC in the USA 80% only applies to continuous loads of 3 hrs. or more.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

220v wiring

Didn't we go through this already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
You will need to see how many amps you compressor draws, should be a tag on the motor. From there you will need a breaker that draws no more than 80% of what the motor requires. Example, your compressor draws 18.2amps you will need a 30amp breaker as 80% of that is 24amps.
Completely incorrect. At least in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Don't know about Canada but under the NEC in the USA 80% only applies to continuous loads of 3 hrs. or more.
Well, there are other things that the "80% rule" applies to, such as electric water heaters and electric heat, but they don't apply here.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Master Electrician

220v wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Didn't we go through this already?

Completely incorrect. At least in the US.

Well, there are other things that the "80% rule" applies to, such as electric water heaters and electric heat, but they don't apply here.
Agreed. Those are considered continuous loads.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

220v wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonald View Post

You will need a 30amp 2pole breaker and need to run 10/2 (+ground) wire
What does a 'breaker that draws no more than 80% of what the motor requires' mean??

Breakers do not draw current the motor does .. and how did you figure a 30 amp breaker from that statement?

Sorry but what you just described makes no sense to me Canada or other wise.

The only thing that makes sense is that 18.2 amps would be 80% of the breaker rating.

Can you explain in a different manner?

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (09-11-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #7

220v wiring

Yes, Speedy, but I never received an answer to my question.
I was banned by ----------(moderator) for a few days because I was being disrespectful to others. I'm not sure how, but I know others were not nice to me first, calling me names, and judging me. No big deal, I was just wanting a solution other than seek an electrician. Yes, I know that is an option, but doesn't that contradict “Doing it yourself”.
So, I'm trying to ask in a different way.

btw, the breaker in the box is sufficient for my compressor.

I just figured it would be easy for one of the professional electricians, or anyone with knowledge of 220v circuitry to answer this by indicating that the left plug is wired to_____ and the right plug is wired to ____ and the third bottom plug is wired to _____ and the green wire is wired to _____(case ground).

Last edited by cruzpilot; 09-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.
cruzpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

220v wiring

Are you just wanting to know how to wire the plug for 230 volts?

What plug do you have? 6-20p 6-30p ?

What is the horsepower off the motor nameplate and does it also list the full load amps and have a ul mark on it?

What breaker size are you using and wire size?

Stubbie
Old 09-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
I=E/R

220v wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzpilot View Post
I just figured it would be easy for one of the professional electricians, or anyone with knowledge of 220v circuitry to answer this by indicating that the left plug is wired to_____ and the right plug is wired to ____ and the third bottom plug is wired to _____ and the green wire is wired to _____(case ground).
If you are using romex wire to supply the outlet, the black wire and the re-identified white wire (black tape) will go to the two straight terminals and the bare ground will go to the U shape terminal.
At the breaker box, the two wires, black and re-identified white, will go to the two pole breaker and the ground wire to the ground bar.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
cruzpilot (09-12-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

220v wiring

Before we get heavy into this post we may want to refer back to the previous interaction with this poster. He does not have a legitimate 240 volt supply for his compressor.

wiring 220v outlet

ScubaDave, where are you?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

220v wiring

rjniles has a very good point. If this is the same situation, there is no way to connect the recep to the power source legally to obtain a 240 volt supply. In fact, due to cruzpilots experiments with the multiple sources available, I suspect there is no way to do it even using illegal methods. I suspect there is simply no 240 volt sources available to him at this location, legal or illegal.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

220v wiring

I sorta remember the Op and it would be nice to know if that original problem still exists and are we still trying to do the impossible ....

Now that I think if it we have gone from that original thread which was a total screw up to being asked how to wire a plug for 230 volts ... at what point do you realize your in over your head??? Even DIY.

Stubbie
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #13

220v wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzpilot View Post
Yes, Speedy, but I never received an answer to my question.
I was banned by ----------(moderator) for a few days because I was being disrespectful to others. I'm not sure how, but I know others were not nice to me first, calling me names, and judging me. No big deal, I was just wanting a solution other than seek an electrician. Yes, I know that is an option, but doesn't that contradict “Doing it yourself”.
So, I'm trying to ask in a different way.

btw, the breaker in the box is sufficient for my compressor.

Lets get things straight...I've reviewed the original thread
Yes, surprise....we keep them to see what everyone said
No-one called you any names
Yes you were judged....as every DIY person is judged who asks for advice on how to do something that seems beyond their abilities

YOU started with the smart comments with me...bad decision
So yes the thread was closed & you recieved a few days off to think
If you want to continue along this same path you will find this thread closed

Almost everyone (eventually) said for you to hire an electrican
Your statements in the last thread:

Quote:
If you want to HELP, great, stay and chat.
If you want to just voice your negative opinion, go ahead, it will fall onto my deaf eyes.

btw, I’m the only one in the hangar, so no others have the same risk
Pretty much ended any advice I would give
In addition your last post was AGAIN trying to obtain information on how to connect this setup the way YOU want to, & not according to code

Quote:
for anyone new,....yes i understand this isn't to code, and is unsafe, and......
DIY ..HERE...means DIR - Do It Right

Advice is usually not offered in a vacuum
You have yet to provide any information about this compressor
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
cruzpilot (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

220v wiring

based on the OP's previous thread, there simply is no 240 volt power available. He already connected the plug in a fashion that would have provided 240 power if it were available and did not end up with 240 volt power. It is as simple as all he has between the two hangars is the same leg or phase of whatever power source there is available so there is nothing he can to to obtain 240 volt power from what he has on hand.

Quote:
I have 2 hangars, back to back, that have their own 110v supply for the lights and wall outlets.
I have taken the (black) power from each hangar and connected them to the two positive sides (one each side) of the 220v outlet for the compressor. I combined the two (white) wires (ground, i think) to the ground (round) plug of the outlet for the compressor.
I checked voltage and have 110v on each side to ground, but not between the two hot’s. plugged in compressor, didn't work, no surprise. What am I doing wrong, and what can I do to correct it.
I think I am right in combining the two 110v from each hangar,...no?
Thanks in advance for any advise.
if he had 120 from each terminal to ground but 0 from terminal to terminal, both services are on the same leg or phase of whatever supply is there or all there is anywhere is a common 120 volt service.

There is no means to get 240 volts from what he has so he either sources another compressor that operates on 120 volts or installs a transformer to increase the supply from 120 volts to 240 volts.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
cruzpilot (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

220v wiring

I did read thru the OP statement and I know he still want the 240 volt circuit for the air compressor however Cruz.,

You been told in a nice way there are few codes issue allready arise.

Aircraft hangers are little more trickier to deal than automovite garage due couple code will show up.

One is no receptales below 1/2 meter { 18 Inches }from floor level to that high { Unless stated otherwise with local or states codes }

Second I did recall that you have a breaker box about 60 meter away { Apx 200 feet } so that part will not meet the circita unless you have electrician to come out and have installed a properly subpanel which it will meet the modern codes.

So you may have to bite the " dust " and run new conductors to the new subpanel location.

And I really advise you should get a qualifed electrician to come out and help you with this one.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote