Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #1

Share |

220V Welding Circut

I'm wanting to put a 220V circuit in my workshop for a future stick welding unit I plan to purchase. The sizing of the conductor and the size of the breaker will be dependent on the unit I end up buying (haven't chosen one yet).

What besides a nearby disconnect should I consider for such an installation?

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Union Electrician

220V Welding Circut

I think as long as you cover the specs on the welder you choose you should be OK. Beyond voltage and current, there is little else to do about portable welders. Electrically speaking.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

220V Welding Circut

The typical stick welder, and many migs, will need a 50A-250v receptacle. This is pretty standard in the industry.

For a home I would use 6/2NM if the wire will be concealed.

Some will tell you you can use smaller wire. In a residential setting I disagree. Who know what someone will plug in later on.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #4

220V Welding Circut

Goose is correct. The welder will come with instructions on wire size, breaker size etc...
Welders are not rated for continuous duty. You may be able to use smaller wire and breaker if you follow the manufacturers instructions. Don't install anything until you know what the welder specs are. Google the one you are getting.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

220V Welding Circut

Yes I would absolutely agree with Speedy that in a residential setting just run the branch circuit he suggested. The receptacle itself is pretty much dependant on the welder you purchase. Now if you would happen to buy a welder with cord and plug attached this will pretty much eliminate any gray areas. As far as Welding itself it boils down to what your wanting to weld. Most residential applications is mild steel, then it becomes a matter of what thickness of steel you want to weld. So you need to look at a couple things one is duty cycles , one is what thickness will the welder properly apply its bead, one is do you want aluminum capability, and do you want AC/DC abilities from your stick welder.
I would seriously consider a wire welder over a stick but that is your call. You will need to spend more bucks and there will be an inert gas tank involved to shield the arc or if your going to weld outside in the wind you can change to flux core wire. You have much more control over small thickness welding...like mower decks and that sort of thing.
Something like the "old standby" Lincoln 225 AC/DC stick welder is the most common 'stick' welder you will see on farms IMO. These are 20% duty cycle and can weld 1/2" mild steel, but they are not real friendly with small thicknesses. You need to be very good with one to weld gauge steel with them.

Since you are the inquisitive type the below thread shows the alternative method for calculating branch circuits for a arc welder in order to use smaller wire but it is generally reserved for commercial applications IMO. Most new welders have internal duty cycle protection so this method would work for you if you choose. As Speedy says you need to have control over what is plugged into that circuit because when you use this type method it is designed to the duty cycle of the welder and anything else plugged in like a heater or something will overheat the wiring. Remember if the welder comes with cord and plug let that be your guide not his alternative method.

Miller syncrowave 250dx Welder installation

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #6

220V Welding Circut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
I would seriously consider a wire welder over a stick but that is your call.
I had considered that. My training is with stick and oxy-acetylene welding; but I'm sure I could pick up wire welding without difficulty. Most of what I'll be doing is small repair stuff around the place. I'll definitely choose to go with something that's AC/DC just because it gives you a wider choice of electrodes.

I'm looking at one of the smaller units from Lincoln Electric.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Sparrky

220V Welding Circut

elctrically well covered by the sparkys in here I can add but this . .have this much additional service in the current supply? . . .or will breakers start popping when you add this load? . .worse case is you might have to juggle usage if that happens . . .

add convenice . . .generally the cord on the welder is SHORT . .if its a corded model . .and most res types are that I have had to supply

just hope I am not watching the game next door when you're welding

kingsmurf
Kingsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #8

220V Welding Circut

I'm going to rig up a generator to a stationary bicycle and have my wife pedal as I weld.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #9

220V Welding Circut

I could never stick weld worth a crap but those new 120V lincoln wire welders make it easy. Add the self dimming mask and a monkey can do it.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #10

220V Welding Circut

I took a welding class at the community college. I'm actually pretty good. I could have taken a welding job, but heck I'm retired.

I have one of those auto-darken hoods. They are good.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

220V Welding Circut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell Tarin View Post
I'm going to rig up a generator to a stationary bicycle and have my wife pedal as I weld.
Unless your wife can pedal like Lance, I'm not sure you will get a spark between the two of you!