DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

220v equipment to 110v

Tags
220v convert
3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
Today i purchased some used woodworking equipment. When I got home i discovered that two of the pieces of equipment were 220v. As I dont have 220v can i convert the equipment to operate on 110v?

#2 ·
A lot of equipment can be connected for either 110 or 220. You'll need to look on the nameplate of the motors, and also we need to know what type of controls it has.

If the motor can be re-connected, the nameplate will state 'volts 115/230' or something like that. If there's only one motor, and a simple switch for the control, you'll need to make sure that the switch can handle the HP of the motor at the lower voltage. Most can. You might need to replace the cord with a larger one, since the current will be higher at the lower voltage.

A lot of equipment that is factory wired for 220 won't work on a 20 amp 120 volt circuit, even if it can be re-connected for 110.

Rob

#3 ·
The major issue is you have to double check the nameplate on the woodworking machinery to see if that can able to run on 120 volt supply there will be interal connection change at the motour junction box and the starting switch { if it have low voltage cut off or thermal overload block on the switch }

But if that nameplate say 240 volt only no note of 120 volts then it will not be festable to run on 120 volt circuit at all

there are few info we can able provide you once you give us the motor model number we can able tell you the correct connection sequice ditto with the switch if the situation called for.

Merci,Marc

#4 ·
more infom

Ok
I have found out that one of the pieces of equipment has a motor marked 115/230v. This piece of equipment has a 2hp motor. I believe that I can re wire this to operate on 110 v

The other piece has a plate that says 230v only single phase.. I believe that I cannot change this equipment. It also has a 3hp motor. i'm led to believe that it is too big to run on 115v.

Any comments

#5 ·
Where will this woodworking equiment will be located in ??

Somecase you may have to add a circuit if your breaker box have room in there or get a subpanel in garage { if detached }.

There is few spots it can able bring the new circuit pretty easy and some are pretty tough all it depending on the set up.

Unforetally a true 3 HP motour is pretty hard on 120 volt circuit it will draw anywhere from 28 to 34 amps { you can able tell by reading the nameplate and look for AMPS it will tell you how much current it will draw.}

A faux 3 HP motor will useally limited to 15 amp on 120 volts they are more like about 1.5 HP or so.

Merci,Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.