DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   220v Breaker (

dksob81 09-25-2008 05:42 PM

220v Breaker
Ok, I have a problem I just moved into a new house and when I went to connect my Air Compressor, I found out there wasn't enough room on the panel for another breaker (dual 30 amp). So without replacing the entire service panel what other otions do I have?

Thank You

joed 09-25-2008 06:10 PM

If your panel will accept them you can swap out some of the other single breakers for twin or tandem breakers to make the space required.

dksob81 09-25-2008 06:48 PM

Thanks I will check this out

gregzoll 09-25-2008 07:02 PM

Or, if you have enough slack to move some circuits to a Sub-Panel, that would be easier.

dksob81 09-25-2008 07:25 PM

I think that would be better.
What all is needed to do that?

Speedy Petey 09-25-2008 07:41 PM

Greg, do you really think a sub-panel is easier than twin breakers?????

dksob81, what kind of compressor do you have that requires a 30A/240v circuit?
Is it a commercial unit?

dksob81 09-26-2008 05:33 AM

It's a Craftsman Professional 60 gallon 7.5hp Air Compressor.

Cow 09-26-2008 08:34 AM

For a diyer, I'd recommend a quad breaker just for the fact it's simpler. Then you're only messing with one other 240v circuit, instead of moving around four other 120v circuits using twin breakers to make room for that 2p 30 amp breaker.

gregzoll 09-26-2008 06:23 PM

Depends on Future & Current Needs. I am going to have to go with either a Sub, or call the company that installed the panel in our house before we closed the sell, due to no space to put in a breaker for a A/C unit, and needing to add a couple for outside outlets, and Basement. I have pretty much used every space but one on my Square D Homeline.

micromind 09-26-2008 06:42 PM

Square D homeline panels will accept quad breakers that have two 15 amp single pole, or two 20 amp single pole on the outside poles, and a two pole of 20, 30, 40, or 50 amp on the two inside poles. This is a very easy way to get a 240 volt circuit from an existing panel that's full.

The big-box stores have them, make sure you look at the homeline type, not the QO.


gregzoll 09-26-2008 07:30 PM

I will have to look at Menards & Lowe's again, otherwise will have to make a call & pay a service charge to get one from an Electrician. Found the Tandem @, but still not the other.

Speedy Petey 09-26-2008 07:51 PM

I would think there is an electrical supply house not too far from you. It's not like you are in the sticks.

gregzoll 09-26-2008 10:08 PM

US Electric is not that far. When I did my garage, I was thinking as the OP, but decided because of the size of the structure, that adding a 220 for a compressor was not enough of a need, but put on a list of future wishes. I am in the same boat as the OP, so hopefully adding on helped them with where they need to go in the right direction.

dksob81 09-27-2008 07:14 PM

Well what I end up doing was getting a plug (same as my dryer) and wired the compressor up to this plug so now when i need to use the air compressor I just unplug the dryer and plug in the air compressor. Since the clothes dryer uses the same size breaker (dual 30amp), this was the easiest thing to do.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1