Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #1

Share |

220 run to Garage..

I bought a 220 Air compressor, But need 220 to Garage, I also have a 100 amp service in the House, and all breakers are Full. What can I do? well Have done, as I have to much respect for Electrical work, Thats why I leave it to the Pro's.

splinter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

220 run to Garage..

either change some house breaker to tandem model (depending of panel model) or change main panel to a bigger one or add a sub panel in the house.

carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

220 run to Garage..

I was looking at having a 200 amp Panel installed, By an Electrican,But with adding a Sub Panel, where and How would this be done. I know what it would Look like, But where would this be Hooked up in the Exsisting Panel?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

220 run to Garage..

If you're having this done WHAT does it matter how it gets done??
Call and electrician or two, tell them what you want and have them give you quotes.

How and where it would be done is only answerable once someone sees the on site conditions.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

220 run to Garage..

Most likely the sub panel would be next to the existing panel. Since the sub needs two breakers free in the main to feed it a couple of circuits would be removed from the main and moved into the sub panel to free up the breakers slots in the main.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

220 run to Garage..

if you are looking to upgrade from a 100 amp to a 200 amp service, get a main panel that has more breaker spaces. no need for a sub panel. run 240 volt from new main to garage for the compressor.

or maybe you are looking for more than one circuit out in the garage? you may need a sub out at the garage, depending on what you are doing. is the garage attached or detached?
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

220 run to Garage..

itsnotrequired,
This is what I am going to do, I just got off the phone with an electrican and he is coming over tonight and see what its going to Take, and shoot me a Price. I dare ask what it would look Like as (Speedypete) Might make another Comment.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

220 run to Garage..

is the garage attached or detached? if detached, is there power out there now?
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Common Sense Common Guy

220 run to Garage..

For what it's worth, I understand what you're asking. You like to be informed when you have the professionals looking at it. You want to understand what options you have, so that you can ask about them if they don't come up.

Ask several different electricians, and you are likely to get several different answers. Some don't want to be bothered, so they'll tell you what you want is difficult and give you a price high in the sky. Some overly need the work, and they'll take the shortest path (and even shortcuts). Others are right down the middle.

I, for one, am happy to see that you want to be educated, although when the time comes to do the work - well, then I'm sure the licensed folks here would ask you to stay out of the way while they do their work (or charge you the upgraded "homeowner supervisor" rate).

There are several potential solutions to your problem, and as Petey says, only a local site visit will tell you what's feasible. You may have the option of connecting new unfused conductors from another set of lugs at the base of your meter to a new panel that serves the garage only. This is likely to be the most expensive option, but if you plan to do a lot in your garage, may be the best. As another poster mentioned, you may have the option to consolidate multiple circuits into "tandem" breakers, which will free up room for a new double-pole breaker to serve your needs in the garage; however, your existing panel (with 100A service) may not allow for this. You have the option of placing a new sub-panel in the home, and moving a couple of circuits to it so that you can add additional circuits, but it will be dependent upon performing a load calculation. Then, upgrading to a 200A service and a new panel with sufficient room is another option.

The question that itsnotrequired asked is an important one -- if you have a detached garage, and there is power there already, you will not be permitted to string another circuit there, and will have to place a new panel in the garage anyway to accommodate your needs. The electrician can give you the best options for your situation.

Last edited by flasherz; 09-17-2013 at 03:26 PM.
flasherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

220 run to Garage..

Did I mention, we're a friendly site.

Excerpt from our site rules: Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on DIYChatroom.com.