220 Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

220 outlet

I would like to add a 220v outlet in my garage for welder use. The problem is, my circuit panel is not in the garage. It's in the laundry room directly across from the garage with a hallway in between.

I bought a 2 pole 50 amp breaker and put it into my circuit panel. I'm just not 100% sure on running the wires. Seems pretty strait forward. Run the 3 wires from my welder to my breaker and install the 220 outlet in the garage. But I am unsure on which wire goes where...?

The breaker has space for 2 wires, how can I tell which wire goes where on the beaker. Same goes for the wires on the welder. How can I tell what's what.

The other question is wire choice. It will be about 25 to 30 feet of wire. I was told either 6 or 8 gauge is what I need. But is that solid or the multiple stand?

Advertisement

sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

220 outlet

Since this circuit is specifically for a welder, you can run #8 NM ("Romex") cable on a 50A breaker. You could actually probably go smaller, but you're relying on a special code exception for welders. The cable will have two insulated conductors and a bare grounding conductor. The two insulated conductors (probably black and white; maybe black and red) go on the breaker, and the grounding conductor goes on the panel's ground bar. You'll need to run the cable through the attic probably to get it from the panel to the garage. So you'll come out the top of the panel, through the attic, and then down into the wall where the welder will be. Install a 2-gang or 4-square box, and put in a 50A 3-conductor receptacle that matches the welder's plug.

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

220 outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
I would like to add a 220v outlet in my garage for welder use. The problem is, my circuit panel is not in the garage. It's in the laundry room directly across from the garage with a hallway in between.
You'll have to figure a way across.
Above, below or through... which makes the least mess?

Quote:
I'm just not 100% sure on running the wires.
Use some #6-3 romex (3w + G).
Consider using that to feed a 60A sub panel rather than just one outlet.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

220 outlet

red and black into either on that breaker
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

220 outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
red and black into either on that breaker
If that OP have X-3 conductors then oui but with X-2 conductors depending where the OP live in USA or Canada it can go either way but black et remarked white is typicall done often on USA side but Canada side either remarked white conductor or speical straight 240 volt cable which they used black et red conductor only beside common bare ground conductor.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

220 outlet

Thanks everyone for the info. I think that's everything I needed to know as far as installing it.

Is there a place I should look online for the wire needed?The home depot near by didn't carry it on hand. So if I'm going to order it, I would rather get the best deal possible.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

220 outlet

HD certainly does carry that cable.
6/2 is all you need, but 6/3 will be fine.

Please, please, PLEASE consider getting a good book or two on home wiring. From the questions you ask and how you ask them I get the very clear impression that you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. You should NOT be doing a job like this simply by asking a few questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (06-23-2013), jbfan (06-23-2013), k_buz (06-23-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #8

220 outlet

I am going to attempt the install of the 220v outlet this weekend. I have the wire and the breaker. Just need to get the outlet. I have attatched a few pics for my questions.

This is a picture of my breaker box. At the bottom right (red arrow) you can see my 50amp 2 pole breaker I popped in.

Here is a closer shot of it. Pointing out the 2 spots where my wires will go, obviously.

My wire colors are black, white,and the 3rd is bare. I am going to put the black in the #1 spot, and the white on the #2 spot. But I am unsure which ground would be correct in my breaker box...? And will it matter where the black or white go on my outlet?

Should I shut anything down while doing this? Or is leaving my 50amp breaker off good enough?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Resi EC

Rewards Points: 250

220 outlet

Run the bare to the same bar as the rest of the bare wires.

The white wire needs to be taped, same as the one a few slots above.

Normally, I'll install the wires on the breaker then install the breaker, everyone has their own way of doing this.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

220 outlet

Do you have a disconnect outside? I would shut off the main if I were you, but I don't see one in this panel.

I would wire the breaker, and then pop it In the panel. It will be easier that way.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #11

220 outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac66610 View Post
Run the bare to the same bar as the rest of the bare wires.

The white wire needs to be taped, same as the one a few slots above.

Normally, I'll install the wires on the breaker then install the breaker, everyone has their own way of doing this.
Thats what I was planning to do. Just wire the breaker and leave it hanging until i was done.

But why should I wrap the white wire in tape?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 266

220 outlet

The panel you are wiring into looks to be a sub-panel, because there is no main breaker to shut power off to the entire panel. If there is another "main" panel in the home somewhere look for a large amperage breaker in that panel marked sub-panel or similarly. Turn that breaker off to remove the danger while working in the one shown. You really don't want your possibly first experience working with electricity to be the first hand experience of what happens when a screwdriver or your hand accidentally touches something it shouldn't while your face is that close. Research "arc flash" if you would like to know the potential dangers of what you're getting into in a live/hot panel.

The tape (black) is to indicate that the conductor is being used as a "hot" conductor. White is the color used to indicate a neutral wire. Mark it at both ends. I use a large permanent black magic marker to color the white covering.

Last edited by old_squid; 07-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Resi EC

Rewards Points: 250

220 outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
But why should I wrap the white wire in tape?

With it being used on a breaker, it is no longer a white (grounded,neutral) wire, so it must be re-identified as a feed.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

220 outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post

I would wire the breaker, and then pop it In the panel. It will be easier that way.
If you can not kill power to that panel, make sure the breaker is in the "OFF" position before you clip it into the panel.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
Kyle_in_rure (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #15

220 outlet

Thanks everyone for the help. Its pretty much done now. Took me like 6 hours to snake the wires through! lol... There was a lot of obstacles in the way.

All that is left is to get the outlet that matches my welders plug and connect it to the wires then pop the breaker in. Forgot to bring the plug end with me when I went to the store to match it. At least the hard part is over.

Thanks again.

Advertisement