Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Share |

20amp wiring help Pigtail?

I am going to connecting three wires (direct wire) to a terminal box and attach it to 20 amp receptacle I have one black, one red and one white. Do I need to combine the black and red and then pigtail it to the receptacle brass screw? The white to the silver screw, yes, but now it appears that I don't have a ground. This will be for my dishwasher, the only appliance on the line.
Thank you.

Zevjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Why no ground? Best to get one to the DW. Anyway you seem to have a three wire cable. The black or the red is used for the outlet but not both. You need more information to do this right. Normally you have some other wires feeding out of this junction box to bring wire somewhere else also. Or the red is meant to be hot only when a switch on the counter is turned on and this would be the one to feed the DW.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Typically in this case the black is hot for the DW and the red is switched for a disposal.

Is this cable metallic BX type cable?
Where in NY are you?
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

Thank you for the responses.

An electrician ran this three wire 20amp line from my box to kitchen. He also ran the same kind of 20amp line to my over the range microwave. I cannot access this outlet clearly enough to make out the connection but it appears he capped off the red and black and pigtailed it to the receptacle.

Just tested the lines: White and Black, strong light. White to red, no light, black to red, dim light.

Is it possible that my red is my ground? Live in NYC.
Zevjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

NO, the red is not a ground.

I must say, NYC has some strict rules regarding codes and licensing. I would not be messing with anything electric unless you a) really know what you are doing, and/or b) are a NYC licensed electrician.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #6

Hello, my electrician did the same thing. What he did was run 12/3 to the outlet that fridge plugs into. He then joined a 12/2 at the outlet and ran it to the microwave/rangehood. At the fridge outlet he joined the 12/3 and 12/2....white to white with white pigtail....black to black. So now in the fridge outlet the red from the 12/3 basically becomes black and the white pigtail is used for that outlet. The rangehood has the traditional black, white, copper. The ground of the 3 way is used for the ground for the fridge outlet while the ground for the 2 way is just cut short and attached to box.

I am assuming then that pigtails would have to be used in the panel on the white wire as well for separate breakers.....hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #7

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Hello, my electrician did the same thing. What he did was run 12/3 to the outlet that fridge plugs into. He then joined a 12/2 at the outlet and ran it to the microwave/rangehood. At the fridge outlet he joined the 12/3 and 12/2....white to white with white pigtail....black to black. So now in the fridge outlet the red from the 12/3 basically becomes black and the white pigtail is used for that outlet. The rangehood has the traditional black, white, copper. The ground of the 3 way is used for the ground for the fridge outlet while the ground for the 2 way is just cut short and attached to box.

I am assuming then that pigtails would have to be used in the panel on the white wire as well for separate breakers.....hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
There seems to be a lot of confusion and guesswork here. What you are describing sounds like a MWBC, which doesn't need and shouldn't have a second Neutral wire. What Z.J. is encountering, however, is a setup for a switched/split receptacle in the same enclosure. Neither of those are regularly installed in kitchen wiring in NYC. A refrigerator outlet is not installed on a MWBC. Only on a dedicated 2-wire circuit from the panel. In Canada MWBCs are installed in the same enclosure, in kitchens. But all this guesswork (I guess) could be eliminated with one phone call!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #8

Post some pictures!

Do not connect the red and black wires together I may change my mind on this after I see pictures.

If you don't know what the red wire is for, tape the end and curl it up uncut at one side of the box for future use.

Then the black as a single hot wire is straightforward.

Down in the panel the white wire is connected to the neutral bus bar (terminal strip). No pigtail is used except you may add one pigtail if the wire is too short to reach.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-08-2010 at 07:18 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote