Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85
Share |

2008 NEC Code & AFCI Requirement

The new house I am in the process of buying has an old FPE Stab Lok circuit breaker panel that I will be replacing with a 40 space square D panel. If I am simply chaning the panel out, do I need to make all the bedroom circuits AFCI or are they "ok" as they are? I know that my state has adopted the 2008 NEC code in full, but curious if I am required to bring those circuits up to the new code on just a panel replacement.

I have no idea how the circuits are wired now, or what is shared on each circuit, but i'd imagine its not split up how it should be so putting just the bedrooms on AFCI circuits may be a bit more difficult and may mean a partial re-wire (just with past experience on existing circuits).

Also, it seems that the 2008 code requires just about every circuit to be AFCI if its not in a wet area (bath/kitchen). Is there really any circuit that is allowed to be non-afci or gfci anymore?
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
The new house I am in the process of buying has an old FPE Stab Lok circuit breaker panel that I will be replacing with a 40 space square D panel. If I am simply chaning the panel out, do I need to make all the bedroom circuits AFCI or are they "ok" as they are? I know that my state has adopted the 2008 NEC code in full, but curious if I am required to bring those circuits up to the new code on just a panel replacement.

I have no idea how the circuits are wired now, or what is shared on each circuit, but i'd imagine its not split up how it should be so putting just the bedrooms on AFCI circuits may be a bit more difficult and may mean a partial re-wire (just with past experience on existing circuits).

Also, it seems that the 2008 code requires just about every circuit to be AFCI if its not in a wet area (bath/kitchen). Is there really any circuit that is allowed to be non-afci or gfci anymore?
This is, of course a question best answered by the inspection office. I would say probably "no". They probably won't require you to make everything AFCI because you are not pulling new circuits, simply replacing the panel. Best to ask and see.

And yes, 240 V appliance circuits aren't required to be AFCI/GFCI.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #3

you should fall into a "grandfather" clause which does not require AFCI however, gfci may be required in wet locations.
patriot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

You shouldn't have to do that. Its all up to the AHJ.

EX. not every house is rewired for grounds during a service upgrade.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I wasn't sure if a panel upgrade/replacement would require all the circuits to be brought up to code. That does make sense though, when I called a few days ago asking about the permit/inspection fees they said it was only $2 dollars for each re-connected circuit/feeder and didn't say anything about having to bring them up to current code. As for GFCI, I am already planning on just replacing the outlets that need to be GFCI instead of doing the breakers.

I will call the inspector/office when I get ready to replace the panel to see if they require the updated circuit breakers.

Also, I will be installing hard-wired smoke detectors all throughout the house along with 2 combo smoke/CO detectors. Is the consensus on this to wire these to a circuit with a light that gets used everyday to know if the circuit ever looses power? And if these happen to go on a new circuit, are hard-wired smoke detectors required to be wired on a AFCI circuit under the 2008 NEC?
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #6

All circuits will be on AFCI with the exception of the GFCI. If you purchase 110v and battery back up sd's loop them together with a 14-3 romex.
Black -hot
White-neutral
Red- switch leg loop

When using this, one SD is set off, then they all go off at the same time and you then also have a battery back up to boot.
patriot1 is offline   Reply With Quote