Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

200 Amp Service Enough for...

Hi all,

So I'm thinking about installing hot tub aka jacuzzi at my house. I just finished taking care of everyone and now I'd like to treat myself. My wife and daughter are happy and now my in-laws are too. Built and furnished a full and legal in-law appartment with full bath, etc. Our house has 200 Amp service. The electrician we used for the electrical for the in-law ran a 100 amp sub-panel. Our layout:

200 Amp Main Panel - 36 circuit/slot

In that we have:
60 Amp Range (probably could be changed to 40Amp as oven brand new same as in in-law below)
30 Amp Dryer
100 Amp (to/for subpanel)
Various 15/20 amp circuits (including GFI for bathroom/kitchen) etc..

100 Amp Sub - 20 circuit/slot

In that we have:
40 Amp Range (in-law)
30 Amp Dryer (in-law)
30 Amp Central AC Condenser
1 x 20 amp kitchen/counter (GFI) in-law
1x 15 amp (smokes for entire dwelling, AFCI)
1 x 15 Amp bedroom (AFCI) in-law
1x 15 Amp 2-pole (A/C handler)

My Question: I know most hot tubs require 50 amp GFI. I've been looking around, some run on standard 120v 15 amp and other's 30 AMP GFI. If I get one that needs 50 Amp, am I overpowering my service and is 200 Amp not enough? Keep in mind, the chances of running all this at the same time slim to none?

Thanks Gurus,

~S

In that we have

Skelleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

The best way is to perform a demand load calculation. You will need to know the square footage of your house along with some of the data you have already supplied.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Master Electrician

a 50A tub is a big one, last place i lived had an 8 person tub with full light show and mini waterfall and it was only 40A(high efficiency as well, would hold temperature in the summer without the heater comming on for 24 hours). Do some shopping before you buy, a few extra bucks now may save you money in the long run.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote