200 Amp Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

200 amp panel

Have an existing 100 amp panel connected underground to a private pole and then overhead to Hydro. Building a garage between the private pole and Hydro and installing a 200 amp panel with a underground wire to the existing power supply at the private pole. How do I wire the panel for the lead to the existing power supply?


Chris Bl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
joed's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 13,286
Rewards Points: 13,368
Blog Entries: 11

New panel will need the neutral and ground bonded with ground rods. The feed to your existing panel will need four wires as the ground and neutral need to be separated in the old panel.
Install a 100 breaker in you new panel to feed the old one.


joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Oso954's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 4,751
Rewards Points: 1,354

Without knowing the distances involved and the current wire size, we can't say anything for certain. But, the wire between the pole and the house maybe undersized based on the total run. So, you may need to replace the wire between the existing pole and the house (either on sizing or for another conductor). In that case, it might be better to do a direct run from the new panel to the existing panel.

Have you talked to Hydro about your plans? Some power companies do not allow a new structure to go in under their drop, and will insist on moving it to,or near, the new structure. Even if they allow it, they will have a minimum clearance required between the overhead wire and the roof.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Dan101's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75

I agree with oso. You Should contact Hydro first because it will save you lots of problems.
J.& D. Remodeling
Chicago, IL
Dan101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sub panel to sub panel feeding tvfd27 Electrical 1 08-21-2012 03:01 PM
Section 310.15(B)(6) vs. 210.4. Don't assume, call your friendly AHJs! Daneel Electrical 3 04-11-2012 07:24 AM
Sub Panel SoxFan Electrical 2 12-02-2008 10:16 AM
Installing new (service?) breaker panel and generator panel Nhrafan Electrical 6 04-01-2008 03:03 PM
turn main panel into a sub panel? tikicarver Electrical 2 01-24-2008 07:37 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1