DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   200 amp main is smoked from water. (

RobertS 02-28-2008 06:42 AM

200 amp main is smoked from water.
One of our rental houses had water drip in it from the service wire that the guy (not me) didn't install correctly. I have never replaced parts in a panel, I usually just replace the whole thing. The panel is a Square D and only 8 years old. Can I get parts for that or do I have to replace the whole thing. 3 breakers are burnt, and corroded along with the power bar on one side. The rest of the panel is in good shape. It doesn't mater to me. Either way it is easy money.

Cow 02-28-2008 08:11 AM

Sounds like you need to swap the guts out. I've cleaned the bus bars before if they were in pretty good shape, but since you need a new main breaker also you're probably better off to just replace everything.

Get the panel number off it and use it to match up to a new one. You'll probably end up buying a whole new panel just to steal the parts out of it.

RobertS 02-28-2008 06:57 PM

That will work.
I know I can buy a whole new panel, and swap out the parts. I was hoping I could buy just the parts I needed cheeper.

NAIL 02-28-2008 09:56 PM

Square D doesn't sell parts for cheap. See if you can get it at a used breaker shop.

If not, just spend the money and get it over with.

goose134 02-28-2008 10:05 PM

I agree. Sometimes the shop I work for buys the guts with breakers cheaper than individual breakers. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing you have a panel that hasn't been compromised in any way.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.