DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

20 amp recepticles and lights

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim Port 
#1 ·
I everyone, new around here. Did some searches, but couldn't find an exact solution. Here's my scenario: Going to be running 12g wire from the panel with a 20 amp breaker to 3 receptacles that will be used for: my computer tower and accessories, new 55' led tv (pending wife's approval:)), and cablebox/ playstation. I plan on using the receptacles with built in surge protection for tv and accessories. I also need to run an exterior light and switch from this run. Here's where I need a little clarification.

I know the wire to the light and switch needs to be 12g. From reading around, I believe all lights and switches can be safely run off the 20 amp line (but I can spend more and get ones rated for 20amp if possible) - right?

Also, does it matter where I locate the light and switch along the run? Should it be first or last? I'd like to avoid dimming or any weird dips, etc that I might not be aware of, being that I will have sensitive PC and Tv equipment on it. Thanks!

#3 ·
If you use a 20A breaker you are required to use 12 gage wire throughout the run. There is no problem running lights and switches on 12 gage wire with a 20A breaker, the only issue is that some folks don't like to work with 12 gage wire since it is more expensive than 14 gage, and stiffer. But if you want to use 14 gage wire for your lights, you need a separate circuit on a 15A breaker.

#4 · (Edited)
I everyone, new around here. Did some searches, but couldn't find an exact solution. Here's my scenario: Going to be running 12g wire from the panel with a 20 amp breaker to 3 receptacles that will be used for: my computer tower and accessories, new 55' led tv (pending wife's approval:)), and cablebox/ playstation. I plan on using the receptacles with built in surge protection for tv and accessories. I also need to run an exterior light and switch from this run. Here's where I need a little clarification.

I know the wire to the light and switch needs to be 12g. From reading around, I believe all lights and switches can be safely run off the 20 amp line (but I can spend more and get ones rated for 20amp if possible) - right?

Also, does it matter where I locate the light and switch along the run? Should it be first or last? I'd like to avoid dimming or any weird dips, etc that I might not be aware of, being that I will have sensitive PC and Tv equipment on it. Thanks!

You dont have to use 20A light switchs, as the light circuit will carry only a small portion of the circuits maximum capacity of 20A.
It will only carry what the ligt bulbs use, so if its a 60w bulb, thats only
half an amp at 120v.

You can locate the switchs any where along the run where there is a permanent hot, and as its mostly for recepticules thens thats almost any where, unless it is a switch recepticules.

Voltage drop should not be a problem on this circuit so dips should not be a problem if theres a good stable supply to begin with.

The type of power supply used in flat screens and pc's now days can cope with any small varience in its power supply.

View attachment 85469

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! That's was I was hoping to hear!

And BRRIC, when you mentioned that there was "Not enough power for that 55' TV", are you referring to the circuit, or my ability to persuade my wife?:laughing:
(I meant 55", the 55' is a little out of my price range!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.