Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |

2 Wires in to light, 3 Wires out, no juice on the switch

I have added a set of 3 way switches to an existing light. It's a weird setup, so please bear with me as I explain.

Starting at the light box, I have the 2 wire feeding into the box from the panel. Out from the box is a 3 wire. The connections are black from panel to a separate black wire that carries on to other things from the switch box. White from panel and white from switch both to shiny screws. red from switch to hot on light.

I know the 3 wire is not usually required, but in this case, the black from the light that goes into the switch box is marred off to another wire that leads off to power a separate light.

Basically, I need to know how to wire the light and light box. I've tried a few combos that have resulted in either the light staying on and no power carried on to other lights, or blown fuses...

I'm fairly positive that the everything beyond the light is ok (my only question is should all the whites be marred together in that switch box?)

The problem I think I'm having is the fact that the black is currently providing power beyond the switch box. That is to say, the black is marred to another wire that leaves the switch box and carries on to power a plug and light in a different room...

This is the wiring as it stood before I did anything, with a regular 2-way switch at the end. I thought adding the 3 way would be a simple feat, but something must need to change in order to keep the juice flowing it seems...

Hopefully someone can help me out, the darkness is driving me crazy..

thanks

pry

Last edited by prytoo; 11-28-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Image too huge..:)
prytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

For one, you have it hooked up wrong. Second, hire an electrician before you either kill yourself or someone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. That's the way it came wired.. i.e. when the house was built, so any mistakes in that area aren't mine.

Secondly, I appreciate your advice to hire an electrician, but being unemployed really puts a damper on all extraneous expenses.

I was able to get an electrician to look at it and give me a diagram for what will work, and it does. So I guess we can consider this topic closed...

regards

pry
prytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

Depending on how the wiring is done at the switch this wiring could be done correctly. We need pictures of wiring at the switch(s).
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

The red and white wires need to be swapped around on that fixture. The whites should be on the silvers screws. The black wires need a wire nut on them.

The wiring at the fixture is correct depending on what you did at the switch. We the switch wiring to know where you went wrong.