DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

2 Wires coming from 200 AMP Meter to separate panels?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  shelzmike 
#1 ·
I have a quick question and want to preface this with stating that I am not doing this work myself. I have just had a couple people come look at it and have a quick question as to what they are referring to.

I have 200 AMP service at my house. Currently, the inside is very messy. They house was built in 1943 and I have a total of 3 panels total. 2 are the same size physically, but two totally different styles. 1 is a breaker style and the other is like a screw in fuse and plug in paper fuse style. It appears that most of the circuits in my house are running off the fuse box and not the breakers for whatever reason.

Anyway, I am switching it all out to a nice 40 200 AMP box.

So here is the question. I noticed that there are actually 2 really large wires running from the meter into the house. One is going to the breaker style box and the other is going to the fuse type box. So, why is that and what does it mean? Will one of those suffice for the new box or will I have to remove both of them and run another? From what I know, I would assume that both wires are big enough to run 200 AMP service, right? Since they are connected to the same meter?

But again, my assumptions may prove my ignorance in this matter, which is why I am not doing it. Just curious. Thanks!

Mike

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Those wires are hopefully cables with 3 conductors in them. It sounds like the meter has been double tapped at the lugs. That would be incorrect. Since your going to replace all panels with one panel you will only need one cable from the meter to the new panel. I would be sure to install a new service entrance cable. The panel needs to have a main breaker in it and will become your new service equipment panel.
Sounds like your having electricians look at the job so just leave it to them but be sure your hiring electricians and not handymen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.