2 Wires Coming From 200 AMP Meter To Separate Panels? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Virginia, USA
Posts: 62
Rewards Points: 81

2 Wires coming from 200 AMP Meter to separate panels?

I have a quick question and want to preface this with stating that I am not doing this work myself. I have just had a couple people come look at it and have a quick question as to what they are referring to.

I have 200 AMP service at my house. Currently, the inside is very messy. They house was built in 1943 and I have a total of 3 panels total. 2 are the same size physically, but two totally different styles. 1 is a breaker style and the other is like a screw in fuse and plug in paper fuse style. It appears that most of the circuits in my house are running off the fuse box and not the breakers for whatever reason.

Anyway, I am switching it all out to a nice 40 200 AMP box.

So here is the question. I noticed that there are actually 2 really large wires running from the meter into the house. One is going to the breaker style box and the other is going to the fuse type box. So, why is that and what does it mean? Will one of those suffice for the new box or will I have to remove both of them and run another? From what I know, I would assume that both wires are big enough to run 200 AMP service, right? Since they are connected to the same meter?

But again, my assumptions may prove my ignorance in this matter, which is why I am not doing it. Just curious. Thanks!



shelzmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Stubbie's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,341
Rewards Points: 2,652

Those wires are hopefully cables with 3 conductors in them. It sounds like the meter has been double tapped at the lugs. That would be incorrect. Since your going to replace all panels with one panel you will only need one cable from the meter to the new panel. I would be sure to install a new service entrance cable. The panel needs to have a main breaker in it and will become your new service equipment panel.
Sounds like your having electricians look at the job so just leave it to them but be sure your hiring electricians and not handymen.


" One nice thing about the NEC articles ... you have lots of choices"


Last edited by Stubbie; 02-17-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Virginia, USA
Posts: 62
Rewards Points: 81

That is what I was thinking also. And the Cutler Hammer box I bought does have large 200 AMP breaker in it, so I am sure I have the right thing. I appreciate the feedback.
shelzmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running wires alongside or through ductwork j_sun Electrical 1 07-13-2011 11:11 AM
pulling large wires 175' - separate or together? tpagel Electrical 14 07-02-2010 09:59 PM
Unintended kitchen remodel Itsdanf Project Showcase 191 06-14-2010 11:23 AM
Replacing 2 Sub Panels with 1 Larger Panel GuitarJack Electrical 7 08-25-2009 08:43 PM
hooking up dryer....bronx ny code SURFBUG Appliances 6 10-14-2008 09:41 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1