DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

2 wire thermostats in parallel?

23K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  DragonFire 
#1 ·
I would like to wire two 240v baseboard heaters to a single 20amp circuit, and have each baseboard on its own thermostat. Wiring is 12/2 (black, white, ground only, no red) and combined wattage of baseboards is 3000w so everything is fine in that regard.

Now... i already have two 2-wire digital wall thermostats.

From my understanding I have 2 options.... install a junction box from the circuit breaker to split a separate 12/2 going to each thermostat and baseboard.

-OR-

Run the 12/2 to each thermostat in parallel, and then connect each thermostat to its baseboard.

So my question is... If i choose the (supposedly preferred) method of wiring the thermostats in parallel must those thermostats be 4 wire thermostats?

#5 ·
ok, now I am getting somewhere. Earlier I specifically read on a google search form another forum posting that thermostats should be wired in parallel for this scenario... which now sounds to be wrong information, and of course creating all sorts of confusion for me trying to visualize things.

I don't suppose there is any simple diagram to help clarify the wiring, or a bit more detailed verbal walk-thru for this type of install? Once I get it clear, I plan to post my working diagram for approval before attempting it.

I can always go with the alternative method of using a junction box and splitting, but would really like to eliminate that especially since what I am wanting to do is a common task.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

#6 ·
You are doing the same thing with a j box as I said.
You take the feed from the breaker to the first box with the tstat.
You pigtail that wire with the wire that feeds the tstat and the wire that feeds the next tstat.
At each tstat, you run a wire from the controlled side of the tstat to each heater controlled by that tstat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.