Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Share |
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


As a newb, I would have wire nutted all the black wires together, with pigtails going to the light, instead of the way shown here below.

Is my way acceptable too?

I would have never known to wire the hot and neutral and mark it with tape.
Attached Images
 

pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pman6 View Post
As a newb, I would have wire nutted all the black wires together, with pigtails going to the light, instead of the way shown here below.

Is my way acceptable too?

I would have never known to wire the hot and neutral and mark it with tape.
In old days it used to be like that but not any more and the reason why to remark the white conductor ( only with NM or UF cable ) so you know you have hot supply and black is switched hot during switch loop mode.

I do not know which state you are in but there is a new code it came out sometime back now it will required netural conductor at all the switch box location the reason why due there are some motion sensor or electronic switch will required the netural conductor to order to get that device function properly.

Merci,
Marc

__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,336
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


If you pigtailed the blacks and went to the light with the tail, the light wouldn't turn off.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,392
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


And if you also pigtailed all the whites to the light the switch would have tripped the breaker when you turned it on.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


It is not the color of the wire which is important, rather what each wire is being used for!

In the case of the wires going to a switch, both should be black, but what you have available to use is wire with white and black. So black tape is placed on the white wire (sometimes*) to indicate it is black ("hot").

*This is not always done, but should be done.

A switch switches off the "hot" wire.

How would you connect the wires in the following picture? Answer: It depends on what each wire is being used for!

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
It is not the color of the wire which is important, rather what each wire is being used for!

In the case of the wires going to a switch, both should be black, but what you have available to use is wire with white and black. So black tape is placed on the white wire (sometimes*) to indicate it is black ("hot").
Yeah I always laugh when people get to pre-occupied with the color of the insulation on the wire instead of the purpose of the wire.

Electricity does not care what color the insulation is!!!
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 48
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican

In old days it used to be like that but not any more and the reason why to remark the white conductor ( only with NM or UF cable ) so you know you have hot supply and black is switched hot during switch loop mode.

I do not know which state you are in but there is a new code it came out sometime back now it will required netural conductor at all the switch box location the reason why due there are some motion sensor or electronic switch will required the netural conductor to order to get that device function properly.

Merci,
Marc
We always do this in common areas like hallways, public washrooms, storage rooms, Etc...it makes it MUCH easier if the customer decides to use a motion sensor or a timer switch
Olsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Yeah I always laugh when people get to pre-occupied with the color of the insulation on the wire instead of the purpose of the wire.

Electricity does not care what color the insulation is!!!


I get it now. I see the path of the circuit.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,722
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Neutral is ALWAYS white, WHITE isn't always neutral!
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Banned Electrician
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MA, Master Electrician
Posts: 203
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
It is not the color of the wire which is important, rather what each wire is being used for!

In the case of the wires going to a switch, both should be black, but what you have available to use is wire with white and black. So black tape is placed on the white wire (sometimes*) to indicate it is black ("hot").

*This is not always done, but should be done.

A switch switches off the "hot" wire.

How would you connect the wires in the following picture? Answer: It depends on what each wire is being used for!

With one wire nut...
__________________
"Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem."
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Neutral is ALWAYS white, WHITE isn't always neutral!
For the USA / Canada side that is correct the netural useally white but over here in France it is bleu for netural but in old days the black was used for netural so it kinda open the eyes when you check out the system.

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


one more exercise for me...... adding parallel light to switch loop-

I studied some wiring books, but can't find an exact example.

this ok?
Attached Thumbnails
2-way wiring shortcut?-2-way-power-light.jpg  
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
Electrical Contractor
 
Philly Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SE PA
Posts: 1,137
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pman6 View Post
one more exercise for me...... adding parallel light to switch loop-

I studied some wiring books, but can't find an exact example.

this ok?

NO ....

just jump the white and the black from the LIGHT FIXTURE ....to the next light/lights
Philly Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michgan
Posts: 175
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
NO ....

just jump the white and the black from the LIGHT FIXTURE ....to the next light/lights
What is wrong with his diagram doesnt it show the white and black being jumped from the light fixture?
Attached Thumbnails
2-way wiring shortcut?-2-way-power-light.jpg  
rosem637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Electrical Contractor
 
Philly Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SE PA
Posts: 1,137
Default

2-way wiring shortcut?


You have 3 wires going to light #2 ...

edit ..oh never mind not enough coffee yet .. i see its the ground sorry .....

Philly Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with wiring issues on a newly purchased house ThatGuy Electrical 13 01-17-2012 10:51 AM
Attic wiring - ceiling lighting uses 14/2 cable without ground darlingm Electrical 3 11-29-2011 09:01 AM
Backyard wiring questions MikeInDetroit Electrical 1 11-02-2011 09:46 AM
Cloth Wiring - Replace? JessicaGus Electrical 9 09-23-2009 06:45 PM
Knob & Tube wiring - How concerned should we be? hotdiggitydog Electrical 6 04-11-2006 07:52 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.