Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

2 subpanel questions

1. if i install a subpanel that is fed off of the existing main panel, and i connect the ground of the subpanel to the ground bus on the main panel, does the subpanel still need to be grounded, i.e. connected to a grounding rod outside? i think the answer to this is yes because that is how i was told it needed to be done for my detached shed and i did it like that and everything works fine. however, the one difference here is that both the main and the subpanel are in the same physical building whereas the shed is detached and i was wondering if the grounding requirements may be less strict because of that. if i have to connect it to a new grounding rod, the subpanel option is out the door cause it would be very difficult to set one (very limited patches of dirt between the house and the street).

2. is it possible to put a meter on a subpanel? e.g. if i have tenants living in one of the apartments and they have their own panel with such a meter mounted before the wire goes in, can it be used to gauge their usage vs. the total monthly bill? obviously, the best solution would be to get separate meters but that is hellishly expensive in my area and i cannot afford it right now.

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,092

2 subpanel questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
...a subpanel that is fed off of the existing main panel, and i connect the ground of the subpanel to the ground bus on the main panel...
the 4 conductors and BONDING to the water pipe should/will be adequate
Quote:
...possible to put a meter on a subpanel?
sorta... you could use an aftermarket and non PSC approved meter.

You also might be able to put in a meter pack... but this Q is more about zoning issues and whether you can have two SERVICES there but probably not.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

2 subpanel questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
1. if i install a subpanel that is fed off of the existing main panel, and i connect the ground of the subpanel to the ground bus on the main panel, does the subpanel still need to be grounded, i.e. connected to a grounding rod outside? i think the answer to this is yes because that is how i was told it needed to be done for my detached shed and i did it like that and everything works fine. however, the one difference here is that both the main and the subpanel are in the same physical building whereas the shed is detached and i was wondering if the grounding requirements may be less strict because of that. if i have to connect it to a new grounding rod, the subpanel option is out the door cause it would be very difficult to set one (very limited patches of dirt between the house and the street).
A sub panel in the same structure would only require a 4 wire feeder. No attachment to rods. Grounds and neutrals separate buss bars. Can bonded to ground.

Quote:
2. is it possible to put a meter on a subpanel? e.g. if i have tenants living in one of the apartments and they have their own panel with such a meter mounted before the wire goes in, can it be used to gauge their usage vs. the total monthly bill? obviously, the best solution would be to get separate meters but that is hellishly expensive in my area and i cannot afford it right now.

thanks
Privately metering a tenant is prohibited is illegal in many areas. If allowed, doubtful, charging anything over actual usage is illegal.

Does your tenant have access to his/her breakers?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

2 subpanel questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
the 4 conductors and BONDING to the water pipe should/will be adequate
No need to bond sub panel to water pipe. 4 wire feed is all that is needed.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote