Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Share |

2 service panels connected to meter

I have an older house with two service panels connected to the meter outside the house. The first is the original 100 amp fuse type service with a main disconnect. The second service was added later to power an electric furnace and contains only a 100 amp breaker and there is no other disconnect. Needless to say, the furnace breaker has failed (it was 6 below last night) and needs to be replaced. It can't just be pulled off a bus as the main feed cables are screwed into lugs at the top of the breaker.

I know I can get the power company to turn off the power at the power pole, but as I get this fixed shouldn't I make sure that this secondary service has it's own main disconnect?
Rick Danya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

You do not need a disconnect ahead of a disconnect. You will have the power company disconnect the power and have the repairs made.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Even if those 100 amp breaker disconnects are fed from the bus and not the breaker I like the power turned off feeding them or the meter pulled because just pulling them out sometimes the plastic holding the buss together is brittle and falls apart sending wires bouncing around inside the panel.

Maybe you could see about a 100amp disconnect being allowed that could be used in the event this happens again.