Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |
Question

2 outlets sharing a stud and also telephone jack?

Hello - classic DIYer noobie mistake. Measured only one. And at that, measured the wrong thing. Lucky for me the sheetrock isn't up yet. Let me explain...

Remodeling a kitchen and ripped out all the walls... adding a bank of cabinets to a wall where there was none. Cabinets are ordered, we like the configuration we've chosen. Ripped out the walls, started to hang new sheetrock around after upgrading to GFCI and adding wiring for under cabinet lighting on another wall.

Was measuring this wall (see below) for cutting and receptacle locations when I realized something. There was a receptacle on the bottom right part of the wall near the corner that was closer than 24" to the corner. The cabinet/pantry for that corner will be standard 24" depth.

I'd rather not cover the "problem" outlet, nor do I want to cut into the pantry cabinet. I'd like to have an outlet over there, just a few inches out to avoid the cabinet.

My concern is that on the next stud over, there is already a receptacle on the opposite side of the wall. That receptacle feeds the one I need to move. The one I need to move has 2 other feeds out of it.

Concerns/Questions:
1) Can 2 receptacles share a stud? If so, what distance to the J-boxes need to be separated? In other words, can they be "stacked" on top of each other with little distance between them? Or is there a minimum separation required in the wall?

2) I doubt the other lines have enough slack in them to pull to the new stud.... what are my options here? One line runs into a finished room... can I pigtail in the old j-box, cover with a plate, and cut an access hole in the cabinet just in case?

3) The telephone jack a bit higher up on the wall is in the same problem (I don't use it, but it is the main access in the condo, so don't want to permanently hide it).... can I move that easily? I've never worked with telephone wiring, so just want to know if I can touch it... or if not, how to do that safely... or call Verizon?

The pictures should explain in detail... the Red lines with arrow/directions show the flow of the lines. The green lines with arrows/directions are thoughts/what I'd like to do.

2 outlets sharing a stud and also telephone jack?-overview.jpg

Detail of outlets:
2 outlets sharing a stud and also telephone jack?-outlets.jpg

Detail of telephone jack (there is plastic PVC covering supply lines... assuming it can flex over to the other stud):
2 outlets sharing a stud and also telephone jack?-telephone.jpg

Let me know if you need clarification... thanks!
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #2

Quote:
1) Can 2 receptacles share a stud?
Put it anywhere it will fit. Back to back if you want.

Quote:
2) can I pigtail in the old j-box, cover with a plate, and cut an access hole in the cabinet just in case?

Yes

Quote:

3) The telephone jack a bit higher up on the wall is in the same problem (I don't use it, but it is the main access in the condo, so don't want to permanently hide it).... can I move that easily?

Yes.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Put it anywhere it will fit. Back to back if you want.
Thanks for the quick response... just want to be sure... I can "stack" it above the one facing the opposite wall and bend the wires coming in the j-box around?

Also... telephone wire... avoiding shock?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Also... telephone wire... avoiding shock?
Don't put it in your mouth and you will be fine.

Telco is "low voltage".
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #5

Thank you... much obliged.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

Just a same vein question for sparky - don't you get static over the phone from the close proximity (6") to live wires?

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #7

No static from AC to telco.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Don't put it in your mouth and you will be fine.

Telco is "low voltage".
Ah, last I checked, the ringer voltage is 96 volts AC. It gives quite a tickle if your working on the wires when a phone call comes in; word of advice (from someone who's been there done that) leave a phone off the hook if you are concerned about someone potentially calling you while you happen to be moving the phone jack.

Otherwise, if you feel lucky and can do the work without a call coming in, the wires will be ok to work on (that is until someone calls).

If you don't plan on doing anything with the wiring and just physically moving the box from one stud to the other then you should be fine.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

You are pretty close most are useally about 90 to 100 Volts AC but very low HZ range useally about 25 HZ during the ring time but watch out some out of the woods in deep in country don't be suprised they can boost the voltage much as 125 V AC during the ring peroid due the distance but with modern stuff in there it will be more constant voltage now.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #10

Much appreciated replies about the phone line... I don't even have a number attached to it (have the cable company's phone deal), so I *hope* that means no phone calls!

I will move the receptacles and phone jack tonight most probably... one more question... notice how below and above the phone jack there is PVC conduit? If I move the jack and that conduit isn't "enough" to cover the extra distance... is that a problem?

Tags
outlets, receptacle, stud, wiring