2 Live Wires One Earth? Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

2 live wires one earth? Help

Hi we have just moved into our first home and we were replacing our bathroom light! In the bathroom is an extractor fan, an emergency light ( for a power cut) and the main light.

The main light has 2 live wires and a neutral no earth! We have tried numerous combinations but the only way it will work is if we have one live in the live, the neutral in the neutral and leave the other live hanging? When we have tried to add the live it either blew or the light stayed on?? At the moment the light is working but the emergency light won't go off and also I don't like leaving the live wire hanging? Can anyone help??

Advertisement

Amanda19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #2

Please it's urgent!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Okay we can help but try to explain it a little better please and tell us the colors of the wires. You say you have am emergency light in the bathroom? Explain it better what isn't working and what is?
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just calm down a little we will help you with it.

Now you say two live conductors tell us what colours it is and is this circuit is controlled by single pole breaker or two pole breaker ?

Emergecy luminaire in bathroom kinda give me a hint sorta like condo set up which I have see it once a while.

Tell us your location once we know what location you are then we can able determed the correct way to deal with it espcally if you are in large Metro areas.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

2 blue and one brown. One blue and the brown is live and the other blue is not. The light fitting has three ports with a plastic box. Into that plastic box are One blue(neutral), yellow(earth) and a brown (live). The wires I have from the ceiling are 2 blue and a brown but none are an earth.

We have a separate light in the bathroom in case of a power outage it comes on but this has stopped working now?

We now have the bathroom light working with one live wire hanging but we have been told that the live wire that is hanging should be connected as it charges the emergency lights? Does this make sense?
I live in Ireland in portlaoise. It's a new 4 bedroom house and the emergency lights are in 3 bathrooms but none of them are working since we left the live wire out of the main light in one bathroom. The problem is we have tried it in all variables we can think of and it either blows the fuse, the light won't switch off at all, or it won't switch on!

We took the lights in the other bathrooms down to see how they were wired but they only have one blue wire and a brown! It seems that the ensuit is the only one with 3 wires.

Thank you for any help

Last edited by Amanda19; 10-24-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Amanda, where are you located?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Amanda, where are you located?
Quote:
I live in Ireland in portlaoise.
That where she is located and I am famauir with European system so let get down to the point

If this was just recentally done buiding it should be on UK/Ireland regulations on latest editon so I will have to check it out little later due I have semi direct connectons with UK electricians.

Now do you have a voltage tester device with you ??

Normally the brown is active { live } while one bleu is for netural.

Quote:
2 blue and one brown. One blue and the brown is live and the other blue is not. The light fitting has three ports with a plastic box. Into that plastic box are One blue(neutral), yellow(earth) and a brown (live). The wires I have from the ceiling are 2 blue and a brown but none are an earth.
Ok sound like you may got a switch loop look little closer to see if you have sleeved bleu or brown one of the two so look little closer you should see two pairs of cables in the ceiling rose { junciton box } area and check the switch to see what conferation it is on.

let me know then I will able guide ya in correct way but for the emergecy luminaires that is something I am not too famuair in your country but in France we don't have that feature in there unless large condo or apartment building that the only time.

Merci.
Marc
Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #8

I have checked and the 2 blue are definatly live and the brown is neutral. The brown and one blue are in one wire together and the other blue is on it's own.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda19 View Post
I have checked and the 2 blue are definatly live and the brown is neutral. The brown and one blue are in one wire together and the other blue is on it's own.

Thanks
Ya got a issue going on now I think it will be wise to cut the loss and get the electrician come in on this one due you have reversed connection and single bleu conductor that do raise a red flag here.

Sorry about that but the Brown is always be live conductor while bleu is netural conductor and if it was a switch point it should have sleeved conductor to know that is on switch loop.

Merci.
Marc

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
Amanda19 (10-26-2010)