2 Lights, 1 Circuit, Seperate Switches? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2 lights, 1 circuit, seperate switches?

i have 2 lights in my living/dinning room, but both lights are on the same switch. i would like to have the lights independant as it is not always the best to have both lights on all the time.

there is only a live and switched live going into the wall switch (2 wires)

is there any way atall i could control these 2 lights independantly of each other??

cheers

Advertisement

ryanreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Not without some rewiring. From your description I can only assume that the lights are daisy chained (the second lights is fed directly from the first). Is there an attic above this room?

Advertisement

Calc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanreed View Post
i have 2 lights in my living/dinning room, but both lights are on the same switch. i would like to have the lights independant as it is not always the best to have both lights on all the time.

there is only a live and switched live going into the wall switch (2 wires)

is there any way atall i could control these 2 lights independantly of each other??

cheers
Only if it was previously wired like the way you would want it to operate. Which doesn't sound like it is.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

no way of getting into the ceiling to re-wire lights, as it is on the ground floor with weyroc boards upstairs. are there any remote gadgets that can be wired in to a light to enable it to be operated from a remote?
ryanreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanreed View Post
no way of getting into the ceiling to re-wire lights, as it is on the ground floor with weyroc boards upstairs. are there any remote gadgets that can be wired in to a light to enable it to be operated from a remote?
Yes, there are a lot of different devices that can help you. I've never actually used them so I can't recommend anything but I know they are out there.

As far as your original idea of hardwiring it, depending on the exact positions of the lights, you may be able to rewire the second light with a few small holes to patch. You don't happen to have crown molding in this room, do you?
Calc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calc View Post
Yes, there are a lot of different devices that can help you. I've never actually used them so I can't recommend anything but I know they are out there.

As far as your original idea of hardwiring it, depending on the exact positions of the lights, you may be able to rewire the second light with a few small holes to patch. You don't happen to have crown molding in this room, do you?
If you don't, would you like some? LOL....

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Calc (08-02-2012)