Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2 Light Fixtures, one junction box

Good Morning Everyone,

My name is Mike and I'm new to the forum. I'm a fairly handy DIY'er (or at least not afraid to try most projects!). I have a question though and wanted some adivce.

My wife and I will be remodeling our bathroom, the usual paint, vanity, faucets and lighting.

The light we have over the double-sink vanity is currently one of those 4' long multi-bulb units that is wall mounted and centered over the vanity. It is mounted directly to the junction box in the wall behind it (same setup I'm guessing that many of us have in our homes.

We are planning to switch to 2 smaller light fixtures over each sink, still wall mounted. My question is, what is the best way to run power from the now single, center mounted junction box, over to the left, and right side of the walll where the 2 new fixtures will be? And, what is the method that will require the least amount of drywall cutting, taping and mudding? Also, what can I do with the existing junction box once I have run my wires from it to the 2 new fixtures? Cap it off and drywall over?

Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

NickSna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Existing junction box must remain accessible, blank cover over it - no dry wall & mud

You could move it to one side & patch the hole
Then put another box on the other side

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,652

It depends. If you are lucky the cable comes in from one side of the existing box. In that case you can pull the cable to one of your new boxes and then remove the existing box and feed cable to the second new box. Patch the old hole and you are ready to go.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Another option, although a little more expensive is if you put in a full height mirror and have the 2 new light junction boxes cut in the mirror. Then any drywall cutting and moving wires to the new light fixtures would be behind the mirror and not require any repair.

Another option,is there attic space above? It may be possible to find the switch leg above and junction it and send 2 separate wires down to each light.

Both arent the easiest but alternatives.
unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

This is a common upgrade. There are several ways to accomplish this depending on the framing.

The last one I did had attic access and the wiring was run from the switch, into the attic space and down the wall to the light j box.

I removed the old light jbox and was able to pull out the single staple above it using a screwdriver in thru the jbox hole.

I cut my new jb holes, went into the attic space and drilled the top plate directly above them. I pushed the existing cable into the first new fixture hole and ran a short cable between the holes.

Install the new jboxes and you have only the old jbox hole to patch.

In some cases you will have horizontal access thru the wall. I have seen plumbing walls the used staggered 2x4 framing and allows the cable to be fished rather easily acros the studs.

If you have no attic access you may have to open up and patch some drywall. Keep in mind that patches that land behind the mirror will be ubnder less scrutiny.

Note: make sure you have your new fixtures on hand so you don't have to guess at their exact location.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote