Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Zig

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

2 ceiling fans on single wall switch

Hi - I am replacing my Casablanca rotary wall switches (4 speeds) for my Casablanca ceiling fans (with pull chain). I have ordered several Lutron 1.5 Amp toggle switches with 3 speed slider to replace throughout the house.

My issue is: in one room, there are 2 ceiling fans controlled by a single wall switch. Each fan is 0.9 Amp. As stated above, the new switch is 1.5 Amp. The old switch I'm taking out is 1.6 Amp and controls both fans. With the old switch in place, the fans run very slowly on the first 3 speed settings. They seem to run as expected on the highest setting.

My question is: What results can I expect if I replace the old switch with the new Lutron, 1.5 Amp? Safety concerns? I have spoken with Lutron - they suggest using a 5 Amp variable speed switch. However, I've heard these cause a humming noise, and I'd like my fan switches to be consistent throughout the house (appearance).

Note: The ceiling fans and wall switches are approximately 20 years old. I suspect the switches are worn out as they don't respond well sometimes.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

If you install anything that is not rated for the amount that the fans will draw you can expect overheating and failure possibly fire.

Zig (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Zig

@rrolleston - thanks for the prompt reply. I am surprised the 1.6 Amp switch was originally installed. I can say the switch never feels hot to touch, even after running for a long period of time.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

difference between 1.8 and 1.6 is close. I would want something at least 25% higher rating that what it is running or better.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Zig

Any other opinions out there? Would really prefer to install this new 1.5A switch!!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Get three speed dehummer verison the Lutron should have this as stock item otherwise I used Pass et Seymour they are good one as well and there are few other good brand you can use but just be aware with the colour it may affect it a little depending on what brandname you get it from.

The reason why I always get dehummer swtich due they are more quiet than variable speed switch or non dehummer verison will do and the last thing is make sure you leave the fan switch itself up there at high speed postion if other postion you will hear pronounced humming sound when run at lower speed mode at the wall switch.

Merci,
Marc

Tags
casablanca, ceiling fans, fan control, lutron, wall switch