DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

(2)12-2 wires for (1)12-4

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
I'm planning for a bathroom exhaust/light/heater combo. I know to run 12-2 from a dedicated 20 amp breaker to a combo 3 single pull switch. My question is from the switch to the light combo. If I could find it I would run 12-4 wire, but since I'm already going to have plenty of 12-2 wire can I run (2)12-2 instead of (1)12-4?

#2 ·
I'm planning for a bathroom exhaust/light/heater combo. I know to run 12-2 from a dedicated 20 amp breaker to a combo 3 single pull switch. My question is from the switch to the light combo. If I could find it I would run 12-4 wire, but since I'm already going to have plenty of 12-2 wire can I run (2)12-2 instead of 12-4?

Yes, as long as you do not exceed the fill capacity on your device box.

#3 ·
I find it easier to run a piece of ENT or Smurf tube and use individual conductors in the proper colors. This also cuts down on box fill in a box that is already too small as you can leave out one ground conductor compared to the cables.

Using 2-12/2 to get enough switched hot conductors would not be acceptable code-wise as the white can only be re-marked as a hot to feed the switch, not a switch controlled hot. NEC 200.7

#5 ·
I find it easier to run a piece of ENT or Smurf tube and use individual conductors in the proper colors. This also cuts down on box fill in a box that is already too small
It also allows for changes in the future where you might require a different wiring scheme from the switches to the ceiling area. Especially in a bathroom, there are often changes that might require a different wiring scheme.

#10 ·
To OP .,
I did answer that question in other section and in Wisconsin I know not very many place will stock 12-4 NM cable at the moment { most big box store will say special order } and you will have to get them in full spool size not the reduced spool size ATM what I heard { only in 250 foot rolls unless the demand get pretty big then they can go with other size rolls }

But For myself I been doing this trick for long time run smurf or greenfeild and that useally do the trick especally if the unit is Fan / Light / Heater even with nitelight verison as well and with all bathroom exhaust fan with heaters it have to be on it own circuit due the heater wattage.

Merci.
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.